× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router Placement

AJ290
Aspirant

Router Placement

I'm wondering how placement of the router affects signal strength.  Specifically with the RAX40.  My current modem/router combo is a lease from Xfinity and sits on the desk next to me.
Upgrading to a new modem and router has me thinking about where best to place the router.  The modem will be seated next to me because the cable comes into my office and my laptop is wired in. My office is pretty much the center of the house.  But I'd like to get the router up on top of the computer hutch if I can.  Running an ethernet cable from modem to router isn't a problem. But what about the power cord?  How long is the supplied cord with the RAX40?  If needed can I use an extension cord?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

@AJ290 wrote:

The CM1100 modem has two ethernet ports.  One port will be wired directly to the router, (other port remains unused?).  Then I run a cable from the router to my laptop, correct?

Correct.

@AJ290 wrote:

what is the advantage of this vs a direct cable from modem to laptop?

Modem to laptop won't work. (See above.) There is no router in the modem.

@AJ290 wrote:

And if the RAX40 doesn't support ethernet port aggregation, why set it up as if it does?

You can't set it up "as if it does". You just have a redundant port on the modem.

@AJ290 wrote:

Is it worth the bump in price to go with the RAX80?

That's your call.

How fast is your Internet speed? Do you need faster access? Do you really want to "double maximum wired speeds"?

Port aggregation is one of those features loved by users who just like to boast about the speed of their systems, regardless of whether they need that speed.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies

@AJ290 wrote:

How long is the supplied cord with the RAX40?  If needed can I use an extension cord?

Netgear's power adapters are usually the same length, about six feet.

An extension for the mains adapter is no problem.

The usual advice is to put the wifi source high up in the room and as central as possible. Sounds like you have that covered.

@AJ290 wrote:

The modem will be seated next to me because the cable comes into my office and my laptop is wired in.

Remember, if you have a separate modem and router, the laptop will have to be wired into the router, not the modem.

Message 2 of 8
AJ290
Aspirant

I'm getting the CM100 modem.  It has two ethernet ports on the back.  Are you saying I shouldn't run a cable from the modem to the laptop?

Message 3 of 8
AJ290
Aspirant

Edit:  that's the CM1100 modem.

Message 4 of 8

The two ports are for Ethernet Port Aggregation. Both ports are supposed to connect to your router to give you even faster speeds.

I can't see that the RAX40 supports this feature, which seems to be reserved for the more expensive RAX120 and RAX80.

There is support for the CM1100, including manuals, at the end of this link:

>>> CM1100 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

See the section Ethernet Port Aggregation.

You plug the laptop into the router.

Message 5 of 8
AJ290
Aspirant

You'll have to excuse my questions.  I'm a tech-dinosaur, apparently.  Smiley Frustrated
The CM1100 modem has two ethernet ports.  One port will be wired directly to the router, (other port remains unused?).  Then I run a cable from the router to my laptop, correct?
In simple terms, what is the advantage of this vs a direct cable from modem to laptop?

And if the RAX40 doesn't support ethernet port aggregation, why set it up as if it does?

Not trying to be difficult; just trying to learn and understand.  Thank you.

Message 6 of 8

@AJ290 wrote:

Correct.

@AJ290 wrote:

what is the advantage of this vs a direct cable from modem to laptop?

Modem to laptop won't work. (See above.) There is no router in the modem.

@AJ290 wrote:

You can't set it up "as if it does". You just have a redundant port on the modem.

@AJ290 wrote:

That's your call.

How fast is your Internet speed? Do you need faster access? Do you really want to "double maximum wired speeds"?

Port aggregation is one of those features loved by users who just like to boast about the speed of their systems, regardless of whether they need that speed.

Message 7 of 8
AJ290
Aspirant

Michael, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and provide some clarity.  Thank you.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7