× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Purchase

GBAX
Aspirant

Router Purchase

I am looking for a recomendation.  Here is what I have, a two story house with a structured wire cabnet on second floor housing my R7000.  I have two data runs to a first floor office but need more hard wire connections in that room.  Looking at the RAX200 to replace the R7000 on the second floor and moving the R7000 to the first floor office to give more ports.  Can the two routers be connected?  Also looking for more wifi coverage so not sure if I should consider a mesh system.  Is there a better way to do this?  Office needs to me hard wired.  Thank you.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Router Purchase

You could do that option but if you only need more ports and additional wireless, you could get an mesh extender and an 8 port gigabit switch for significantly cheaper than the RAX200. And most of the mesh extenders can be set in AP mode if they're hardwired in. 

If you decide to go the router of 2x routers, make sure to put one of them in AP mode. It needs to go modem-----router (in router mode)------router (in AP mode) or you'll end up with issues. 

but you could also go this route:   modem-----router--------switch-extender 

probably more than half the price.

Even if you wanted to upgrade to AX wireless, an wireless AX extender is still a lot cheaper than the RAX200

Message 2 of 6
additude
Virtuoso

"I have two data runs to a first floor office but need more hard wire connections in that room."

If that means that you already have ETH cables run to the office then just put a switch on one of them and save yourself a lot of cash and headachs.

Message 3 of 6
GBAX
Aspirant

Thank you all for the info.

@additude wrote:

"I have two data runs to a first floor office but need more hard wire connections in that room."

If that means that you already have ETH cables run to the office then just put a switch on one of them and save yourself a lot of cash and headachs.

Message 4 of 6
additude
Virtuoso

You will only need an Unmanaged Gigabit switch, less than $50 bucks....

Message 5 of 6
additude
Virtuoso

Oh, and BTW ...

Only plug 1 (one) of those two cables you have into it.

One cable goes into it and other equipment goes into it.

On one of my setups. I use a TEW-7500AP as a wireless bridge that I have had no problems with....

If you want to go that route...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7