× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router getting full speed but not sending to devices - RAX50

bbury10
Tutor

Router getting full speed but not sending to devices - RAX50

Router - NETGEAR - Nighthawk RAX50 (AX5400) Wi-Fi 6 Route
Modem - NETGEAR - Nighthawk 32 x 8 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem
-- 
Recently moved. At our previous home when i setup the internet, the router was getting 800 mb/s through the speed test via the nighthawk app. Any other device was only getting 200-300. I used the free support. They had me login into the web portal via 192.168.1.1 - I think we ended up changing the channels or ports(?) ( or maybe something else) via advanced settings, i remember trying a few different numbers i think in the 800s and within a few minutes everything in the house was getting 600-800 mbp.
-- 
Fast forward. Move to new house. End up resetting router to forgotten password and running into the same problem. Internet is 400 mbps. Nighthawk app and netgear portal show 400+ mbps while any speed test on other devices is 75-125mbps. I'm in the portal and am having issues remembering what the previous fix is. Tried changing the channels without luck.
-- 

Checked in with Netgear to see if i could have notes from previous tickets since it only shows "ticket closed' now. They want me to sign up for their 6 month support for like $89.99. Super annoying!

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router getting full speed but not sending to devices - RAX50

What is the model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Was it maybe WMM enabled? 

Beamforming? 

Try checking settings Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings...

Message 2 of 6
bbury10
Tutor

I bought the modem as well. Model number is CM1200.

"Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices" is enabled (green checkbox)

Not sure what WMM is. Looks like it might be equivalent of QoS on Netgear? It is not enabled. Right under it, "Let Speedtest detect my internet bandwitdh" is checked.

Would MUT have anything to do with it?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, enable WMM. That should be enabled. Should see speed increase here. 

Message 4 of 6
bbury10
Tutor

The WMM killed it from 150-200 down to 20-30. Going to keep plugging away and see if i can come up with something or might just bite the bullet on the netgear support.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

What speed do you get directly wired into the modem? 
When you move to a new location, its always best to ensure the modem is getting full speed before reverting to trying things on the router. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7