× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router keeps adding certain MAC addresses to blocked list in Access Control (firmware 1.0.5.24)

felciano
Aspirant

Router keeps adding certain MAC addresses to blocked list in Access Control (firmware 1.0.5.24)

Hi --

I'm trying to debug a strange new problem on our home wifi network. We have a R9000 X10 router, and recently some of our devices stopped connecting to it. After some debugging I found that Security > Access Control had been turned on, and several devices were showing up as blocked. What is strange is that I can't seem to unblock them:

• If I click on the checkboxes next to the devices that are marked "Blocked" and click the "Allow" button, the page refreshes for a few seconds and then redisplays the device list, with those devices still marked "Blocked"
  • If I click on the checkbox next to a single device marked "Blocked and click the "Edit" button, I am taken to a dialog box page where I can choose "ALLOW" or "BLOCK" from a dropdown. I choose "ALLOW" and click OK, and am taken back to the list of devices, with the device in question still "Blocked"

Any suggestions on how to debug this further?

FWIW, I don't actually recall turning Access Control on -- maybe this was done as part of a security update? We are on firmware V1.0.5.24.

Best,

Ramon

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
rinthos
Luminary

Re: Router keeps adding certain MAC addresses to blocked list in Access Control (firmware 1.0.5.24)

Sometimes settings do change when updating firmware.  Sorry to say this but i'd suggest since you have the firmware from last month you likely got an auto update.

In either case, record all your router settings, and then Factory reset the router (this is done by holding the reset button on the Router for ~20 seconds just to be safe). The router will then have factory default settings.  Run through and configure all the settings again to what you are using now or expect to be using (leaving access control disabled if you don't use it).  

That should do the trick.

Sadly Netgear Router firmware updates are not the cleanest process, even the automatic ones...and it's frequently required to perform a factory reset after an update otherwise sometimes features do not work, or partially work. 😞

Hope this helps, and sorry for the lack of a good option, but sounds like a typical symptom of a firmware update.

@felciano wrote:

Hi --

I'm trying to debug a strange new problem on our home wifi network. We have a R9000 X10 router, and recently some of our devices stopped connecting to it. After some debugging I found that Security > Access Control had been turned on, and several devices were showing up as blocked. What is strange is that I can't seem to unblock them:

• If I click on the checkboxes next to the devices that are marked "Blocked" and click the "Allow" button, the page refreshes for a few seconds and then redisplays the device list, with those devices still marked "Blocked"
  • If I click on the checkbox next to a single device marked "Blocked and click the "Edit" button, I am taken to a dialog box page where I can choose "ALLOW" or "BLOCK" from a dropdown. I choose "ALLOW" and click OK, and am taken back to the list of devices, with the device in question still "Blocked"

Any suggestions on how to debug this further?

FWIW, I don't actually recall turning Access Control on -- maybe this was done as part of a security update? We are on firmware V1.0.5.24.

Best,

Ramon

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7