× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router keeps losing its wifi

Scott_K
Guide

Router keeps losing its wifi

I have had this router for about six months.  It started out well, but in the last few weeks, it has developed problems.  The first sign that something is going wrong is that I cannot connect at all to the wifi.  In some cases, devices that are already connected will remain connected.  Mostly the devices that remain connected are smart plugs and other devices.  For instance right now my Ring doorbell is connected and so are a few plugs.  Those are all connected to 2.4Ghz  In other cases, devices lose their connection and cannot get it back.  On devices that cannot reconnect, I get the message "Failed to obtain IP address".  Trying repeatedly to reconnect does not matter.  Nothing will reconnect.

When I go into the Nightgear app, it cannot connect.  I get a lost called Your Products and it shows my device and says that it is disconnected.

The first time that this happened, I tried every troubleshooting step that I could think of.  I completely reset the router several times and it didn't work.  Then finally, after the third reset, it did take and everything went back to normal.  That was approximately two weeks ago.  Now it has happened again.  I'm a remote worker.  Nothing is connecting and I'm stuck on a work day without a functioning router.

Ethernet is completely unaffected by this.   

Is there anything that I can do to fix this, or is my router already dying?  It's really not that old.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
Scott_K
Guide

Re: Router keeps losing its wifi

One other piece of information is that I am on firmware 1.0.5.2.  I was on an older version when this first started happening and upgraded as part of troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

What firmware are you on?  it looks like a new firmware was pushed out just recently (10/23/2019). Are you using automatic updates? If so, I'd try a factory reset on the device. Whenever firmware updates are done and there's issues afterwards, a factory reset and setting it back up manually sometimes fixes them. If it doesn't, you can try downgrading over a hardwired connection back to the older version, reset it again, and disable automatic updates. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R9000

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

@Scott_K wrote:

One other piece of information is that I am on firmware 1.0.5.2.  I was on an older version when this first started happening and upgraded as part of troubleshooting.

I must have been posting when you posted this. I'd still start off with a reset if you've been changing firmwares. 

What modem are you connecting to? (model number)

Message 4 of 12
Scott_K
Guide

The last time this happened, I spent half of the day resetting the router.  Are you saying that this is being caused by the firmware?  I was on an older version of the firmware the first time that this happened.  I updated manually when I reset it and set everything up last time.  I never turn on automatic updates on anything because it usually cause more problems than it solves.

My internet is city provided fiber broadband and the modem is provided by them  The brand name on it is Colix Gigapoint.

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

@Scott_K wrote:

The last time this happened, I spent half of the day resetting the router.  Are you saying that this is being caused by the firmware?  Nope, not saying this but its a possibility that must be considered.   I was on an older version of the firmware the first time that this happened.  I updated manually when I reset it and set everything up last time.  I never turn on automatic updates on anything because it usually cause more problems than it solves.

My internet is city provided fiber broadband and the modem is provided by them  The brand name on it is Colix Gigapoint.

There's many versions of gigapoints. Some have routers built into them. Some don't. A model number would be beneficial. 

Reason why is if there is a router built in, you could be in a double nat situation which can cause ip conflicts/other issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Firmware can potentially be an issue no all routers when updates are pushed out. Usually updates go fine but for a few, there's issues. Thats why if you're having issues after changin firmwares, its always a good idea to try a reset/reconfigure. After that, you can try a downgrade. 

If this has happened before, I'd check into the potential double nat. 

Message 6 of 12
Scott_K
Guide

It's not a router.  The modem is just a modem.  The did try to sell me on using their modem/router combo but I opted to get the standard modem instead.  Model number is 803G.

This is the third time that this has happened to the router.  Two times on older firmware and one time on the newest firmware.

Message 7 of 12
mlotov83
Star

Hi everyone, first time on here. Found this thread on google. I'm having the exact same issues. This is the second time this month where my WIFI devices are having connectivity issues. LAN works fine, but speeds are also half or less than what I should be getting on GIGABLAST speeds. I'm very disapointed in this router, I also bought the extender. A lot of cash for a trial product. 

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 8 of 12
plemans
Guru

@mlotov83 wrote:

Hi everyone, first time on here. Found this thread on google. I'm having the exact same issues. This is the second time this month where my WIFI devices are having connectivity issues. LAN works fine, but speeds are also half or less than what I should be getting on GIGABLAST speeds. I'm very disapointed in this router, I also bought the extender. A lot of cash for a trial product. 

If you're having issues you need to start your own thread. You have a different router and potentially other differences. Each situation is unique. Please start your own thread for us to adequately help you. 

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

If you've only had it 6 moths and this is the 3rd time its happened, it might be a bad router. Unfortunetly it does happen. many don't have issues but a few certainly do. You have a 1 year warranty and it might not be bad to get it replaced prior to warranty running out. Something else to check, when I looked up the modem, its listed as having 4 ethernet ports. There wasn't a whole lot of info that I found on it but if it does have 4, make sure you're only using a single one of them. 

Message 10 of 12
Scott_K
Guide

Thanks.  It does not have four ethernet ports.  It has one ethernet port, one port for the fiber connection and one port for phone service.

This has an image of the modem and the ports in the back.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi0p_7-srXlAhXMvp4KHZeMD38QjRx6BAgBEAQ&u... 

Message 11 of 12
Scott_K
Guide

I waited until the end of of my work day and I reset it and started from factory settings.  Again.  First I tried just unplugging it and plugging it back in after an hour.  Still nothing would connect, so I had no choice on the reset. 

I guess we'll see how it goes this time.  It lasted about two weeks after the last time that this happened.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7