× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SECURITY HOLE BUILT-IN? (RAX35v2)

FritzGman
Aspirant

SECURITY HOLE BUILT-IN? (RAX35v2)

Bought this Walmart special router on sale to give WiFi 6 a try after getting an Intel AX200 card and I've had nothing but a bad experience.

1) My Netgear R6300v2 router was more stable and consistent with connectivity to all my devices than this thing.

Ever since I switched to the RAX35v2, my connectivity has gotten worse instead of better. I haven't even bothered trying the WiFi 6 because if it doesn't work with my legacy WiFi devices, what's the point. I know its not my home network or internet connection network because there are two perople working from home and guess what, we are both having the same glitchy WIRED connections.

2) I can't find a way to turn off PORT 80 on the WAN side of the router! Seriously Netgear? Port 80 on my ISP DHCP assigned address???

Yes, that's right. My router is exposed to the internet over port 80 AND I CAN'T FIND A WAY TO TURN IT OFF. I thought maybe it was the "Anywhere Access" and turned that off to no avail.  Does anyone know about this particular model and how to turn off this security "feature"?  I mean, does this look safe to anyone?

Screenshot 2021-01-23.png

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@FritzGman wrote:

2) I can't find a way to turn off PORT 80 on the WAN side of the router! Seriously Netgear? Port 80 on my ISP DHCP assigned address???

Just in case - the WAN/Internet port can behave different if you are accessing the public IP from the LAN (internal) side than from outside.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] My router is exposed to the internet over port 80 AND I CAN'T
> FIND A WAY TO TURN IT OFF. [...]

Where, exactly, is the web browser where are you doing this?   Some
computer/device on your LAN?  Have you tried doing it _really_ from
"the WAN side of the router"?

> [...] does this look safe to anyone?

I can't (yet) see your picture.  In-line images must be approved by a
moderator before others can see them.  The time required varies.
Attachments have no such limitation.  Of course, attachments have their
own one-per-message limitation.

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@FritzGman wrote:

Just in case - the WAN/Internet port can behave different if you are accessing the public IP from the LAN (internal) side than from outside.

Message 3 of 4
FritzGman
Aspirant

I have some learning to do.  Browsing from the home network was the issue that made it "look like" port 80 was open.

I used Shodan.io to scan my ISP assigned IP address from my home and office networks.  Both show port 80 as open.  However, an NMAP scan does NOT show it open from the office network and I was unable to load the Router's login prompt.  Internally on my home network, it shows it as open and navigating to my ISP assigned IP address loads the login prompt and the Reset Password screen of the router. 

Not sure why Shodan.io shows port 80 as open when it is not but at least I can confirm it now.  So, I am not worried about ports being open externally anymore but the performance issues continue. 

Thanks for the feedback and hint on what I was doing wrong.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7