× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SLOW LAN wired connection RAX80

NCMike
Tutor

SLOW LAN wired connection RAX80

The wired connection on the Nighthawk AX8 (model RAX80) is very slow and inconsistent. I have the latest firmware installed as of July 20, 2019. I have 400 x 20 service. I have 1 PC connected using the ethernet cable included with the router. I have run numerous speed tests on several test sites and they all point to download speeds ranging from 30 to 200. The speed test results fluctuate fairly widely within minutes of retesting (example: 50 down, wait a minute, retest and get 170. Back and forth like this). The router control panel reports that my connection is between 400 and 450. When directly connected to the modem, my PC speed shows 400 to 450 speeds. The WIFI connections within 10ft of the router average around 300 to 350. Still slower than I would expect, but much faster than my wired connection. I have tried resetting QoS, disabling QoS, doing a factory reset and not updating firmware and later by updating the firmware again. Nothing has improved my wired speeds or inconsistent wired speeds. I upgrade (downgraded?) from the R7000 Nighthawk, and I don't know what else to try. Has anyone else experienced this and did you find a stable solution?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: SLOW LAN wired connection RAX80

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router.

Having two routers on a network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 3
NCMike
Tutor

Re: SLOW LAN wired connection RAX80

The modem is an Arris TM1602 which has a single lan line plus two phone ports that are not being used. The netgear router address is using the standard IP address you noted. I'm farily knowlegeable about many computer aspects, but networking and routers is not one of them. I probably have a slightly better than basic understanding. Just mentioning this in the event someone offers a suggestion or question that assumes a higher level of understanding.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7