× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Set DNS servers for DHCP clients

ksnow
Follower

Set DNS servers for DHCP clients

There does not seem to be a way to set DNS entries for DHCP clients in the Nighthawk RAX40, the only option seems to be the automatic assignment of 192.168.1.1 as the DNS server. I'd prefer using my own DNS settings for clients, as currently contacting the Nighthawk for DNS is the slowest part of a lookup (according to tracert). I should be able to set clients to Cloudflare's or Google's DNS if I'd like.

One question I have about this, is Netgear collecting DNS information from my home network?I can see that it contacts  routerlogin.com for the first hop.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Set DNS servers for DHCP clients

@ksnow wrote:

There does not seem to be a way to set DNS entries for DHCP clients in the Nighthawk RAX40, the only option seems to be the automatic assignment of 192.168.1.1 as the DNS server.

Negear does not allow to change the DNS IP assigned by DHCP to the clients unfortunately.

@ksnow wrote:

One question I have about this, is Netgear collecting DNS information from my home network?I can see that it contacts  routerlogin.com for the first hop.

Lol - the Netger consumer routers can be reached using some domain names like routerlogin.com or routerlogin.net which are pointing to the router LAN IP. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7