× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up DNS when IP is provided by ISP

Laurent78
Aspirant

Setting up DNS when IP is provided by ISP

My ISP do not let me the option to get a static IP adress so I have to select "IP provided by ISP" in internet V4 configuration. The issue on my RAX10 is that I cannot choose my DNS and am forced to use those from my ISP. I don't understand this limitation. I would like to use Cloudflare DNS instead. Is there a way to achieve that ?

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Setting up DNS when IP is provided by ISP

Is Armor or Smart Parental Controls enabled on the router? 

Message 2 of 14
Laurent78
Aspirant

Yes they are.
But if the IP adress were static, I would be able to set the DNS, so I do not see how it is related.
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway do you have? 

What happens when you change the dns provider? 

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Amor and Circle use there own DNS services so they will prevent any custom DNS changed being used on the router. So if you want to use custome DNS on the router, these two features need to be fully disabled. 

@Laurent78 wrote:
Yes they are.
But if the IP adress were static, I would be able to set the DNS, so I do not see how it is related.

Message 5 of 14
Laurent78
Aspirant

My Netgear RAX10 router is behind a router provided by the ISP. As I said, I cannot change the DNS because my IP address is dynamic and provided by the ISP.
If I change experimentally to static IP address in the settings, I am able to change the DNS (in other word these two settings are exclusive).
I can change the DNS settings in the IPv6 settings though.
So I don’t understand this limitation on IPv4.
Message 6 of 14
Laurent78
Aspirant

I don’t think it is a true statement for Smart Parental Control because when I look at the DNS ipv4 in the Internet setting of the nighthawk app I see my ISP dns for ipv4. I can change the ipv6 DNS though on the router webpage.
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

So reset the router and set up from scratch. This time do not enable Armor or Parental controls, then go in and see if you can change to custom DNS on the routers web page. 

@Laurent78 wrote:
I don’t think it is a true statement for Smart Parental Control because when I look at the DNS ipv4 in the Internet setting of the nighthawk app I see my ISP dns for ipv4. I can change the ipv6 DNS though on the router webpage.

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. 

@Laurent78 wrote:
My Netgear RAX10 router is behind a router provided by the ISP. As I said, I cannot change the DNS because my IP address is dynamic and provided by the ISP.
If I change experimentally to static IP address in the settings, I am able to change the DNS (in other word these two settings are exclusive).
I can change the DNS settings in the IPv6 settings though.
So I don’t understand this limitation on IPv4.

Message 9 of 14
Laurent78
Aspirant

Yes, i have my router set-up in your option 2. It is working fine. 

Message 10 of 14
Laurent78
Aspirant

Maybe but before changing all my configuration I would prefer to have the insurance it will work (from someone with dynamic IP). 

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You can back up your router configuration before factory resetting the router. So you can go back to the configuration if it doesn't work. 

Default settings are Armor and SPC are disabled so DNS would be configurable by the user IF they don't enabled them. 

Message 12 of 14
Jeronimo454
Tutor

It doesn't matter if your ISP gives you an IP dynamically or not for you to be able to change the DNS server.

Login to your router --> the basic home page displays --> select internet --> here you should arrive to the page where you have selected to get an IP dynamically from your ISP. --> Scroll down to see "Domain Name Server (DNS) --> under "Use these DNS servers" you can enter the IP's of your preferred DNS servers.

I also have a dynamic ip address from my ISP and I do the same.

Message 13 of 14
Laurent78
Aspirant

Alright so it may be due to the smart parental control. It is strange to me because this field is accessible for me only when I simulate to set a static IP.
Do you also have the V1.0.5.108 software ?
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7