× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up Multigig 2.5 port on Nighthawk RAX 200

MC87
Aspirant

Setting up Multigig 2.5 port on Nighthawk RAX 200

I have owned this modem since June 2020 and have only used the Internet Port (1Gbps). I recently purchased a new modem Arris S33 which also has a 2.5gig port. So I switched the settings on internet setup to make use of the Multi-Gig Port (2.5/1Gbps) port on the RAX200. But now my internet seems to have slowed down. It was faster and pushed more speed with my old modem which maxed out at 1Gbps. Any advice on setting this up would be greatly appreciated, perhaps I made a mistake in do so.
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 5
Razor512
Prodigy

Re: Setting up Multigig 2.5 port on Nighthawk RAX 200

Which speed package are you paying for?

Message 2 of 5

@MC87 wrote:
I have owned this modem since June 2020 and have only used the Internet Port (1Gbps).

This modem is? The RAX200 is a router, so it won't be that.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers
Cable Modems, Routers and DSL Modems.
(This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

Message 3 of 5
MC87
Aspirant

Sorry forgot to mention that. I pay for a 1200mbps package. But can’t get it to work with that multigig port. I’ve been getting less than 700mbps on my devices that were getting higher when I was just using the standard 1gig port.
Message 4 of 5
Razor512
Prodigy

Does the cable modem have an admin page that can be reviewed?

Also, if you go to the web UI of the RAX 200, and then heat to Advanced > Show Statistics

What PHY rate does it show for Multi-Gig Port? (it should show something like 2500M/Full).

Do you have a 2.5GbE on your PC that you can also test with, e.g., for the RAX200, the SOC is fast enough to read from USB storage at speeds well over 1Gbps. If you have a fast flash drive or other external drive that can read at above 120MB/s, you could connect your PC's 2.5GbE port to the router's multi-gig port using the Ethernet cable that you used for the cable modem, and then simply try to download a large file from the USb storage. this will allow you to see if you are truly getting the rated throughput or if error correction is kicking in really hard, and causing slow throughput.

Beyond that, be sure to check the settings in both the ruter and cable modem to ensure that there are no weird settings set for the 2.5GbE port.

Also as a troubleshooting step, if you are using netgear armor, try disabling it. While the CPU should easily be fast enough to handle it while saturating the multi gig port, it is still worth disabling anything that can have a CPU overhead just to rule out any issues in that area.

If all else fails, you can also try backing up your configurations, and then do a factory reset o the RAX200. Then do the setup using the web browser instead of the app, and ensuring that the armor service does not activate. After that, you can set the internet settings to use the multi gig port for the WAN (defaults to the 1GbE port), and then see if the issue remains, if it does, then simply restore your backed up config file.

PS sometimes the cable modem also needs to be reset, especially if you notice any weirdness such as not all of the downstream and upstream channels being locked on, or a high error rate showing up in the log files.

This is especially important if your cable connection is behind multiple splitters and the signal is weak. Or in cases where you may have a direct line from the pole to the modem, if you are very close to the node, you could end up with a receiver overload situation where clipping on the frontend will lead to a higher error rate. In which casse, you buy a decent 2 way splitter and add proper termination to the jacks not used on the splitter to attenuate the signal a little.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7