× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up new home

Oldoobie
Aspirant

Setting up new home

Hello there!

I am building a new home. It is a medium sized 2 story home with a balcony on the 2nd floor. I have cable being installed. I want to install the best Netgear that is available. Should I purchase the 3.1 Modem plus Orbi Mesh? Thank you very much in advance for any help! I am confised by the need for two wifi's if i do this. Joe

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Setting up new home

If its still in construction and you don't have sheetrock, I'd run some ethernet wires in the home. Its cheap to do and most builders will let you do it yourself. Easy, cheap, and will come in helpful in the future. 

its tough to tell you exactly what to buy. Medium sized means different sized to different economical statuses. 

The orbi's are pretty darned good though. 

Message 2 of 6

I second the idea of doing Ethernet. Gives you better options.

Message 3 of 6
Oldoobie
Aspirant

For sure I am installing CAT 6 Ethernet in the new home. We do need WiFi for phones, tablets and misc. I could buy any DOS 3.1 modem and add a Mesh router, of course. Some 3.1's have mesh capability etc etc. With a 3.1 that has WiFi adding mesh seems a waste as you have two WiFi systems (and can turn one off or not). I know that there is a modem that is mesh connectable to mesh. Just not sure if it is a Netgear. (I like Netgear). Thanks to those who understand and replly.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

I would buy the modem seperate from the router. It gives you more options to upgrade/change if needed. 

Plus in modem/router combo devices, the ISP controls the firmware. and they rarely update. 

I've used the CM1000, CM1100, CM2000 all with great sucess. I'm currently using a cm2000 and hitting 1.2gbps (comcast over provisions a little). Not sure who your isp is, so check with them on compatiblity. 

are you looking more along the lines of Orbi ax? 

If so, and you're going to have a hardwired connection between router---satellites, I'd look at the AX750 series. The AX850 series has the wider backhaul (wireless connection between router---satelllites) but if you're using a wired backhaul, the extra wireless backhaul isn't needed.

Message 5 of 6

@plemans wrote:

I would buy the modem seperate from the router.

This really is the best option.

Not only do you get a bigger choice of routers, you also don't end up locked into your ISP for firmware updates.

Some newer cable modem/routers from Netgear allow firmware updates, but most don't. This means that you miss out on added features, security updates and general bug fixes.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7