× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setup QOS for Zoom by DSCP

jacobaustin123
Follower

Setup QOS for Zoom by DSCP

I want to set up QOS on my new Nighthawk router to to give high priority to Zoom packets (the conferencing app). These packets are sent over UDP and have a wide range of source ports, so setting a QOS policy by a single source and destination port doesn't work. They are always tagged fwith DSCP 40 (0x28), but the Nighthawk management software doesn't allow QOS filtering based on DSCP field. Is there a way to set this up to give highest priority to DSCP 40? I can telnet into the router.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
ningc
Aspirant

Re: Setup QOS for Zoom by DSCP

Have the exact same question. 

Did anyone figure this out yet, and can share the procedure accordingly? 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 4
Razor512
Prodigy

At the moment the netgear QOS sttings do not lalow you to add additional L7 filters, though their stock database does cover a wide range of common applications as well as bulk data such as P2P traffic, thus even if it lacks an L7 filter for a specific application, it it catches much of your bulk traffic and puts it at a lower than normal priority, thus effectively prioritizing them lower than the uncategorized traffic, then you can mitigate most of the latency issues even during times of saturation (though not as well as a proper L7 filter giving the specific application a high priority).

One issue is that Netgear doesn't provide a complete list of every entry in the QOS database that the router downloads, thus it is hard to tell if they even added Zoom, since it does have others such as skype.

Message 3 of 4
Razor512
Prodigy

Wanted to also add that even with telnet access, the only data that can be reliably altered by the user, is NVRAM entries where you run the "nvram show" command, though those entries are unlikely to have the full data related to an L7 filter, instead they may have references to the binary blob containing the filters.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7