× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow WiFi Speeds - RAX 120 Router

itzbigengland
Follower

Slow WiFi Speeds - RAX 120 Router

Modem : Netgear CM1200

Modem Firmware : 1.02.02

Router : RAX 120 - Nighthawk AX12

Router Firmware : V1.0.1.122

ISP : Cox Communications (no issues reported in my area at time of trooubleshooting)

Issue : Wi-Fi speeds have plummeted from when we bought both the modem and the router and installed them. Wi-Fi throughout the house was anywhere from 600-900 Mbps on 5-Ghz band and around ~200 Mbps on the 2.4-Ghz band. We are now getting 500 Mbps on the 5-Ghz band and 30-40 Mbps on the 2.4-Ghz band. This is only on wireless connections though. Wired connections are stable around 960 Mbps to 1 Gbps. What would have caused the degraded performance on Wi-Fi?

Things I have tried : Factory reset modem with latest firmware installed, downgraded firmware to V1.0.0.58 and factory reset modem, completed site survey and adjusted channels, disabled AX mode, disabled/enabled WMM, QoS is off and all pre-made rules have been deleted, smart connect is disabled, factory reset modem, refreshed modem with ISP tech support, pretty much anything that I have previously read on this forum regarding RAX 120 routers and slow Wi-Fi speeds I have tried.

The modem and router worked great for about 3 months, but has been like this for about a month now. Our daily internet usage did increase from 1 person working from home to 3 people working at home, but I configured and tested everything during low-usage time in our house. When testing, I disconnected all Wi-Fi attached devices and was using my phone (Pixel 2) and an iPad to test speeds after changes were made. When looking on the forums, it appears that this is not an isolated issue. What would be causing such a dramatic drop in speeds? We invested in this modem and router with the intention of future proofing ourselves (at least for a couple years), but we are already having degraded service after just a couple of months. Is this a known issue? Downgrading firmware did not resolve it, but was a bad FW update pushed out? Did I recieve a bad unit? Any advice would be helpful as I am currently at a lost to what could be causing the severe drop.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello itzbigengland, 

I'd like for our support team to reach out to you for assistance. If you wish to be contacted, please send me a private message with your contact info.

Christian 

Message 2 of 8
19Andromeda86
Aspirant

I’ve been having the same issue on the previous firmware as well as the current one with insanely low speeds on WiFi with the AX12 Router. I have a gigabit connection from my ISP.

Nothing fixes the issue. After troubleshooting, I gave up and hooked up my previous ASUS AC router as an access point with its own SSID and immediately hit 802.11ac speeds. So the issue is the firmware....

Message 3 of 8
lmanpunk
Star

Same problem with the RAX200.  I have tried many of the suggestions here but the problem comes back.    Slow Wifi, Wifi Completely disappears.   Looks like Netgear has serious issues with AX

Message 4 of 8
19Andromeda86
Aspirant

It would be great to have a link to previous firmware versions where the bug had not yet existed. Not sure which one that would be.
Message 5 of 8

@19Andromeda86 wrote:
It would be great to have a link to previous firmware versions where the bug had not yet existed.

All previous firmware is available on the support pages for your device.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

It will also have any firmware for your device. Take your pick.

Message 6 of 8
Joi007
Tutor

Under wireless settings please uncheck "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" and see if that corrects the problem.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 7 of 8
lmanpunk
Star

I have already disabled that along with AX.  Drops still occurs I also tried different channels for 5GHZ,  I have went back to older firmware but that did not  help.   This is most likely my last Netgear.  Support is not good. The community is better than support.  RAX200 is not worth the cost.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7