× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow download speeds on ethernet

Marat2k6
Tutor

Slow download speeds on ethernet

I received my RAX200 3 days ago. When setting it up i updated the firmware to the latest version and didnt make much changes at all besides renaming the wifi bands. I have a 1gb connection, and the router i was replacing was an R8500. The two wired desktops i have used to get aroun 800-900 mbps down on the R8500. Ever since i setup the RAX200, the max speed on these desktops i get is around 400-500mbps.

Like some said on a different discussion, there is a speedtest that can be ran in the qos section of the rax200 config and running that, it shows me 950mbps, but speed tests and my ISP's (RCN) speed tests all give me around 400mbps.

I was hoping this was just a defective router, so i have a replacement coming in tomorrow from Amazon. What worries me is my friend bought a RAX200 today and is have the same exact issue as me.

If i plug in my R8500 i get my high 800+ speeds. I still havent found a solution for this yet and now im wondering what did i pay $600 for.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

adding 1 more attachment

Message 2 of 37
plemans
Guru

I've got the same issue with my RAX200. A couple things you can try.

manually set your qos speed for 1 gig download and  ****upload (whatever your upload speed is).

disable qos. Or enable it.

Enable ivp6.

Reset the device after a firmware update. I've had better success installing, resetting, and then playing with my settings. I've had to go back a firmware generation to get it working full speed. 

Message 3 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

I tried everything your suggested 3 times with each of the 3 firmwares available for this rax200. No speed difference

Message 4 of 37
plemans
Guru

What I highly recommend you do is open a support case with netgear. You're not the only one having this issue and the more people that register support cases, the more resources are devoted to finding an answer. You gett 90 days of free support. To use it:

to to mynetgear at the top. Register an account and then register your device. From there you can open a support case. Again, I'd highly recommend it. 

Message 5 of 37
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

@Marat2k6 wrote:

I tried everything your suggested 3 times with each of the 3 firmwares available for this rax200. No speed difference

Since you have tried disabling qos, so could be others configuration cause it. from the throughput nubmer, seems like HW accelerator does not work.

did you also try to disable 1) traffic meter (if you ever enable it) or 2) ACL?

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 6 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

Traffic meter and acl was on. Disabled both just now and rebooted router. Made no difference

Message 7 of 37
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is probably same issue I have in RAX80... to get full speeds I have to turn it off and turn it on first.

Once it boots turn QoS on while set to 1000Mbps... then turn QoS off.

After you turn off QoS should see full speeds. Seems QoS is enabled on boot even though interface doesn't show so only way to turn it off is to turn it on first and then turn it off.

Message 8 of 37
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

I reported issue earlier this year for RAX80 and other users confirmed turning QoS ON and then OFF after a reboot fixed it... a Netgear rep said they would look into it... has been 6 months and still no fix after multiple updates. I was interested in upgrading to RAX200 but seems to have same issues as RAX80... Honestly I'd probably just return the router while you still have a chance... I haven't seen a single post all year or review that had anything good to say about gigabit speed support and Netgear doesn't seem to care since most people don't notice issue since they don't have gigabit connection.

Message 9 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

unfortunately none of these suggestions made any difference. what did solve my issue is amazon replacing this router and the new router works good and im getting 950mbps down now.

Message 10 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

After my last response everything was working great. Today i wake up do a speed test, again im at 300mb. Router internal speed test showing 940mb. This is just crazy. issue looks to be with the product itself and nto the specific router i received because this is the 2nd one

Message 11 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

I dont understand how you can mess up straight through ethernet wired connection if your a router company. been with netgear almsot 20 years now. last night i was getting over 900mbp and just ran another speed test (attached) under 300. 

when is the firmware patch to fix this coming? i will be refunding this by end of next week if i cant figure this out.

Message 12 of 37
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Are you sure you followed steps correctly? You need to reboot router first and then when it comes on goto QoS.... turn on QoS and wait a minute or so.... then turn QoS off. 

If you reboot the router again have to do it all over again... turn on QoS... wait a few minutes... turn off QoS. 

Message 13 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

yea i followed your instructions exactly, it took my internet speed from 250s to 350s, not 950s. 

Message 14 of 37
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Do you have Traffic Meter on? I noticed that can cause it slow down also. 

Message 15 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

Traffic Metter is off.

Heres something weird that happened yesterday, I changed the wifi name of one of the 3 wifi bands and all of a sudden the two wired desktops i have started to get full 950mbps speed. Not sure how this is supposed to be related but since yesterday night when i did this, i still have good speeds.

Message 16 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

So the speed has been good for last couple days. One thing i noticed that hasnt happened on my R8500, if im playing a game on my pc that doesnt use much bandwidth at all, like tops 2mbs, that pc's speed drops to like 400-500. As soon as i turn it off, speed back up to 950.

Also as above while playing this game, my samsung tv wired to the rax200 which reads my videos from my synology nas box (wired to the rax200) starts to lag. If i stop the game, no more lag. Dont understand why that is affecting data transfer speeds on the local network. Was not the case on the R8500 or the R6200 i had prior.

Message 17 of 37

I raised this similar issue. It seems to be a hard cap thats put in place on random restarts of the router via changes in unrelated settings. I encountered the issue when i chose WAN aggregation, despite QOS not being a factor. I did note that WAN Aggregation disables QOS. Don't know if there is some firmware issue with it placing a hard cap of 500mbps on all connections that is being automatically set by the firmware without user intervention.

I have a gigabit connection as well and note that this speed cap is in play on all connections, internal and external. Speed is also capped when downloading at say 60MBps despite having much more bandwidth available. This does NOT happen on the RAX120 -- which is a Qualcomm chipset and not this seemingly problematic Broadcom one that is also int he RAX80. This is a severe issue for a costly router.

Message 18 of 37

This is the exact behavior I am seeing. Something in the router firmware is placing hard caps on bandwith during constant "pulls" on the connection even when there is plenty of bandwitdth available. Most easily noticeable on gigabit plus connections.

This happens with QOS on or off or reset or not. Makes the router unusable.

Message 19 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

Hoping this can be fixed by a firmware update. I do like the improved wifi6 speeds but having cap on LAN transfers is a problem for me.
Message 20 of 37
ChAKiBrOs
Guide

I'm having same issue on RAX80. Just found out that speed was capped after time sync with NTP server.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 21 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

Any work around for this yet?
Message 22 of 37
ChAKiBrOs
Guide

Factory reset, enable and disable QOS, reboot so many times but nothing can help, hope netgear engineers can fix it by firmware update.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 23 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

So new firmware update recently came out. 1.10
Change log says improved stability. Here's how it improved my stability so far...
- Right after update, my internet speeds top at 300mbps on my 1gb connection
- factory reset the router and set up my settings again now getting around 500-600mbps. Still not what it used to be.
- couple of my devices like my Samsung TV multiple times a day say network cable had been unplugged for a few min and then it reconnects

So far looks like this update was a step in the wrong direction
Message 24 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

The problems continue...
Yesterday the 3rd wifi signal turned off. In the settings it's on. I tried toggling it off and on...nothing. this $600 triband router now became dual band. Today devices connected to the 2nd wifi signal disconnect and reconnect happened already 5 times in last 2 hrs. My tv and my desktop that are directly connected to the router through Ethernet, get disconnected and reconnected. Says cable unplugged and 2min later it's connected again.

Now I'm gonna have to call support and see if this $600 garbage of a product can be replaced with something that actually works.
Message 25 of 37
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7