× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow download speeds on ethernet

avtella
Prodigy

Just ask for a RAX120, it uses a superior Qualcomm chipset. Qualcomm usually implements new features in a more stable and functional manner.

The RAX200 is essentially just an RAX80 with an extra 5Ghz band + 2.5Gb Eth port, same Broadcom WiFi chipset.

I highly doubt even even with numerous devices a triband would really make much of a difference, from my own experience.
Message 26 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

So after spending hours troubleshooting this router and finally calling support. I told them I work in IT and I've done all the troubleshooting I know plus everything I've heard they requested in their community forms. They wanted me to do all steps again while I'm on the phone before they can replace it for me. Asked for manager... Nothing.

So here's what I did I hung up on their idiotic support, I called amazon received my return label, got my money back. Ordered an Asus RT-AX88U. Record it and after a 10 min install... I have no bandwidth issues, no disconnect issues, ax band works great. And I got it on Black Friday for $250 instead of $600 and a load of headaches
Message 27 of 37
mikeshinn
Aspirant

OMG the phone support is maddeningly bad.  I've got the same issue.  Speeds are half of what they should be as everyone else has reported. 

Aside form the fact that I worked for Cisco as a developer (so I've already done everything imaginable myself) they had me basically do things that wouldnt really matter, specifically: 1) manually upload the firmware (the same version the router already had installed), 2) change a the wireless channels (even though I'm running the tests from a workstation plugged directly into the router, and I told them that multiple times), and then 3) change the MTU to 1492 (theres ZERO chance thats the problem, and it wasnt).  So really, the phone support was meaningless, it was all changes that wouldnt have made any difference.  And then told me the troubleshooting couldnt fix it, and to to watch it for the next 12 hours - to see if its still not working correctly.  Now thats a first, "yes your product is not working corrrectly now wait 12 hours and let us know if its still broken."

But then the support person tried to sell me kind of extended warranty, for a "one time fee" which made no sense at all to me because I just bought this router and he told me its still under warranty.  And he kept trying to get me to buy it. Hey I'm a resonable guy, Im the CEO for a start up for goodness sake I'm pretty forgiving about technical issues these things happen, but clearly theres something wrong with these routers and the L1 people have no idea how to handle it, and they dont seem to know what to do.

Guess I'll be calling them back tomorrow to report the exact same thing I did today.

With that said, I did try some experiments and for what its worth I turned off "Portscan and DOS protection" under advanced and that consistently helped with upload speed at least (its went from 385Mbps to 935Mbps).  So for anyone struggling with this, try that and it might help with upload.  It did nothing to help with download.  So definitely one data point, would love to know if anyone elses router performs differently when that is disabled.  I'll see if I can find something equivalent for the Download side of things. 

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 28 of 37
mikeshinn
Aspirant

And if anyone is wondering where that is, its under Advanced -> Setup -> WAN Setup.  And you should see a "Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection" option.  In my case, disabling fixed the upload speed problem, but did not fix the download problem.  So my guess is theres something doing some kind of equivalent inspection thats slowing downloads down.  (QOS is also disabled on my rouer, enabling it had no positive effect on download speeds either).

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 29 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

So many people reporting same issue and people going through same troubleshooting steps with Netgear phone support and nothing helps. Of course they don't want to admit they released a bad product that was not tested properly.

Best solution is to get another wifi6 router not from Netgear
Message 30 of 37
rob19a
Aspirant

Im having the same issue. Router wont go above 400 Mb. I have a 1 gig connection so I should be seeing at least 900mb a sec.

This  Rx router is trash. Come on netgear do better!!!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 31 of 37
mikeshinn
Aspirant

I had to switch back to the version fios router in addition to the problems with the download speeds being halved, the wireless was also having problems and devices were randomly disconnecting. I’m hopefully Netgear can fix the problems with the router because the router is unworkable right now.
Message 32 of 37
Marat2k6
Tutor

Yea this is unacceptable for such an expensive device. The Asus ax router I got after I returned the netgear has no issues
Message 33 of 37
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Marat2k6 wrote:
Yea this is unacceptable for such an expensive device. The Asus ax router I got after I returned the netgear has no issues

The last Netgear router I had years ago had a lot of issues... I ended up switching to an AirPort and that solved all my issues. I decided to give Netgear a chance again since Apple stopped making routers... and here I am lol. I don't mind some bugs but seems a bit ridiculous for basic features to not work or have to disable everything purchased it for just to get it to work as well as a cheaper model.

Message 34 of 37
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@mikeshinn wrote:
I had to switch back to the version fios router in addition to the problems with the download speeds being halved, the wireless was also having problems and devices were randomly disconnecting. I’m hopefully Netgear can fix the problems with the router because the router is unworkable right now.

The router has been out for a year now... I've given up hope on a fix after reading about same issues all year. All I can do is check here daily for some updates... was hoping to see someone say they finally found a fix but so far only consistent fix I've seen all year is to return the router. 

Message 35 of 37
enigma99a
Aspirant

I'm seeing the same thing on a RAX120. Fast after reboot and then slows down to the 180-300 range. All I want is gig speeds and I'm within my 15 days so I might end up returning it and getting something else

Message 36 of 37
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi enigma99a, 

Thanks for reporting your experience. Have you gotten a chance to get in contact with our Support Team regarding your issues? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 37 of 37
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7