× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow nighthawk

Wmta
Aspirant

Slow nighthawk

1. Replaced my coal fired AirportExtreme with an RAX120 in order to take full advantage of our shiny new gigabit internet feed. 
    The AE generated thruput,as indicated by the Speedtest app, close to 900 megabits over cat5 cable to my imac and between 150 and 450 mbps wifi depending on location of my 2 Airport minis and the ios device testing. 

2. After installing my shiny new (rebuilt) RAX120  I am getting less than 180 on wire to my desktop (imac) and less than 80 on wireless. 

3. I have reconnected my AE and retested to confirm the differential. Is this fabled router really such a slug? If not what are the likely errors in my setup? This is the first piece of non-apple gear (excepting printers) I've purchased in a long time. So far it seems like a mistake. 
    Help!
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: Slow nighthawk

What feeds the RAX120? The modem equivalent?

@Wmta wrote:
  1. After installing my shiny new (rebuilt) RAX120  I am getting less than 180 on wire to my desktop (imac) and less than 80 on wireless. 

What does "rebuilt" mean? You bought it second hand?

Did you factory reset it before you out it to use?

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and use the community search to find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

Message 2 of 4
Wmta
Aspirant

The router is a refurbished unit purchased through Amazon.
The router is fed by a new gigabit modem made by Arris.
It was reset and the firmware updated when I installed it.
I posted here because it IS a router.
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4

@Wmta wrote:
I posted here because it IS a router.

Yes, but not one supported in this section.

Should you have enough time to search for "RAX120" or want to see what people who actually use these things say, try here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

If you aren't interested in specific information from people who own and use the RAX120, by all means stick around here.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7