× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Smart Connect Specific 5ghz

roninremy
Guide

Smart Connect Specific 5ghz

I tried to look for this, but I can't find anything, and I am pretty sure I know the answer but need to confirm.

I want to lock my macbook/iphone to a specific 5ghz channel. Currently it only uses the upper 5ghz channels on the slower 2400(Canada we only have this option), where I want it to use the lower 5ghz channels on 4800 (I know it won't help speed that much but it does a bit, tested without smart connect)

The only thing I am aware of is going into terminal with the macbook and forcing it to a channel but I don't want to do that as I have no idea how to reverse that if I ever want to go back to normal. 

Wanted to know if there is other way to forcing the macbook/iphone onto a specific 5ghz band? As I do not want to use the upper bands. Thanks

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Smart Connect Specific 5ghz

Disable SC and set the specific channel on the 5Ghz radio that you want your devices to use. 

What Mac Book model do you have? 

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

I know we were on the prior discussion so a couple things. 

1. the only way to choose a band is to disable smart connect.

2. you don't need to disable it. even if the macbook connects to the 4800mbps band, like you said, it doesn't really help much. 

And without knowing what actual macbook you have, its tough to know if it even supports 160hz wide channels. If it doesn't, it won't help at all. 

Message 3 of 6
roninremy
Guide

I know I can use this command

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport --channel=NUMBER

(where Number is channel) I was going to use this, but I don't know how to reset it if I want to see all bands again. 

Macbook Air M1

It max Phy is 1200 and can only use 80 

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If it's only rated at 1200Mbps then either radio should work. You'll not get more out of this. My Mac Book Pro 2018 only does 1300Mpbs on AC. 

Check with online support sites on how to use that command or ask Apple. 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

You might be seeing the speed difference because of the reduced power limits on the lower channels versus the higher channels. 

But it shouldn't be to large of an impact unless its a distance issue. 

What actual speed do get get on one versus the other? 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7