× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Super slow wireless speeds - AX120....

kermitWyo
Aspirant

Super slow wireless speeds - AX120....

My streaming has been off lately and I finally ran a few speedtests both hardwired to my ISP router and to my Nighthawk AX12... hardwired is @ 450MB down/25 up... wireless is @75MB down/20 up...

This router has me a bit stumped (or it is over my head). I didn't have any issues with my Netgear AC1900 - but it wouldn't work with my new modem required for the high speed connection.

I realize without any settings information it is damn hard to troubleshoot anything... just hoping for some obvious areas to check in the settings to see if something got changed that I wasn't aware of (it used to work great).

Thanks...

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kermitWyo - Would you mind providing us with the firmware version your router is currently on? 

~Christian 

Message 2 of 9
kermitWyo
Aspirant

Hi Christian,

Sorry - I forgot to include that...

v1.0.0.84

I thought I was going to get it updated until the x.86 upgrade was pulled. I dont know if my router did something as a pre-update routine that stalled when the new firmware was pulled or what happend. I was getting a full 400MB - 445MB connection wirelessly...now I cant even break 100MB.

thanks

Message 3 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kermitWyo, 

Thanks for confirming. Could you provide more details on the device you're using to test your wireless speeds and if you've used other devices to run a speed test? Also have you tried disabling QoS to see if that helps? 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 9
kermitWyo
Aspirant

Hi Christian,

I ran two different tests ...

1). a hardwired test from my AppleTV using the SpeedTest.net app. I got over 400M connection results to three different servers in my region.

2). A wireless test through the Nighthawk using an Apple Airbook connected to my wireless 5G network. I got a 75-80M connection.

I verified that test with an iPad running Dslreports on Safari browser.

I think QoS is turned off on the router.

Thanks

Alan
Message 5 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

kermitWyo - Have you gotten a chance to change the wireless channels for both 2.4/5GHz? You may also try performing a factory reset on the router to see if the issue persists. We have received some feedback that performing a factory reset has resolved WiFi speed issues.

~Christian 

Message 6 of 9
kermitWyo
Aspirant

I have not tried that yet. I will do so tonight and report back.

thanks

Alan

Message 7 of 9
kermitWyo
Aspirant

Hi Christian,

I changed channels on both frequencies and it did no good. I have noticed the 5ghz frequency is no longer broadcasting like it used to... there is no longer a way to select it from the WiFi setting on my devices... only the 2.4ghz frequency is available.

I haven’t tried defaulting it to factory settings - but mainly because I’ve been buried at work and haven’t had the energy to reset it yet. Maybe later today.

Thanks

Message 8 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kermitWyo, 

Thanks for getting back. Were you able to factory reset the router over the weekend? 

~Christian 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7