× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Surface pro 4 not working with RAX40

Gumle
Aspirant

Surface pro 4 not working with RAX40

I have a quite peculiar problem with a Surface Pro 4, having trouble with a new RAX40 router.

Ever since I set up the router, the Surface has had a lot of trouble with BSOD's, unstable connection, and other flaws. Every other device connected to the router has no problems whatsoever. Now, the Surface was sent in for repair since I thought it was a faulty network card. I had tried a USB Wi-fi dongle in the computer, and that worked fine, so it must be the network card, right?

When it came down to the repair shop, they could find no problems. Afterwards, I also tried connecting the Surface to a mobile hotspot, and that worked fine as well. What seems to be the only possible solution is, that the router actively makes the network card go bye-bye. In the device manager, the network card simply appears and disappears randomly whenever it is connected to the RAX40, which also explains the unstable connection and maybe also the BSOD's, since it could seem like an unstable driver all of a sudden.

I have tried disabling the AX on the router, but that made no difference...

AND the drivers for the network card, a Marvell Avastar wireless-ac network controller, are fully up to date.

Can anyone find a possible explanation for this sort of weird problem?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

I know it sounds stupid and isn't secure but try setting up the guest account without a password and connecting to that. See if its an issue with the wifi security causing issues.

when you updated the marvel card, did you update drivers through microsoft or did you get them from the marvel site? many times the device manufacturer has newer drivers than what microsoft does. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I know it sounds stupid and isn't secure but try setting up the guest account without a password and connecting to that. See if its an issue with the wifi security causing issues.

when you updated the marvel card, did you update drivers through microsoft or did you get them from the marvel site? many times the device manufacturer has newer drivers than what microsoft does. 

Message 2 of 5
Gumle
Aspirant

Somehow the nonsecure guest account seemed to work.

I haven't been able to connect to 5GHz, but it went perfectly fine now, and it doesn't seem to give any problems, really.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Again, not ideal as it leaves it unsecure but at least you have it working and a temporary solution. there's a bunch of posts about issues with the surface pro and wifi. I'd keep in contact with microsoft as well as monitor the marvel site for your driver. 

Message 4 of 5
Gumle
Aspirant

Thank you for helping, at least I have found the real issue.

I am just wondering how it could handle my WNDR4000 with same security settings but this is breaking the computer. Well, sometimes computers are not to be understood, I guess

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7