× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Machine fails with RAX80-V1.0.6.138_1.0.76

jstevens
Aspirant

Time Machine fails with RAX80-V1.0.6.138_1.0.76

Time Machine use to work just fine with FM V1.0.5.126_1.0.65.  After upgrading, Time Machine looks for the backup disk but returns the error message: Backup Disk Not Available.  Try backing up again when " *.local" is available.

I have a USB drive connected to the router via "ReadyShare".  I'm unable to reselect the disk through Time Machine as it does not see the drive.  I reviewed the NG Community's Time Machine setup instructions but still can't see the drive.  Remember Time Machine use to work with an earlier FW version.

The reason for upgrading the FW was to resolve frequent internet disconnects.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Time Machine fails with RAX80-V1.0.6.138_1.0.76

I know time machine support was removed from the RAX200 without being put in the release notes. Wonder if this device was too. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/Time-Machine-does-not-recognize-US...

@DarrenM 

Message 2 of 7
cpickman
Aspirant

It would appear Netgear silently removed support for wireless Time Machine backups with the latest firmware (1.0.6.138_1.0.76). I was very disappointment when I applied this firmware thinking that this wireless Time Machine support would continue. After a couple of days, I noticed that the router was no longer broadcasting a Bonjour network name (zeroconf) with available services. So, I did a search and found the previous firmware that I was using and downgraded back (1.0.5.126_2.1.46.1) since I need wireless Time Machine backups. You'd think that someone who wrote the release notes would've made this bullet point so the user base would be informed prior to applying the firmware update. Go figure. 

Message 3 of 7
johnwho
Star

This is a more fundamental issue, affecting any disk sharing with the router. Not just time machine, the update killed my network a factory reset and reconfigure got most things working.

BUT the USB disk sharing was not possible unless you removed all passwords, which is not good. The router would not accept the correct login details over a wired or wireless connection. I tried from Andriod, Apple, Windows and Linux boxes.

After rolling back a firmware version and loading the settings file I had saved, USB drive share was working again.
Message 4 of 7
Hadrien500
Aspirant

The update also made my RAX80 unusable. Factory reset required... Time machine no longer works for me..

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Hadrien500 Time machine support was pulled from a lot of devices (couldn't find the post that a mod mentioned it) because there's a significant security risk with it. If you want to keep support, you have to stay on an old version and risk those security risks.

Message 6 of 7
Andy4711
Guide

Ok, now I’ll replace my RAX80 router by a product from another company.
Sine I purchased this POS there were always troubles with updates.
I’ll never buy anything from this company in the future.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7