× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: [Time synchronized with NTP server] RAX80 Router disconnects me from the internet from time to t

pleroy
Initiate

[Time synchronized with NTP server] RAX80 Router disconnects me from the internet from time to time

This is the same issue I see some other people posting here.

I'm using a RAX80 Router and I see from time to time, like twice a day, disconnectiongs happening entirely.

It's like someone pulling the ethernet cable off.

This is really frustrating while I'm gaming and even worst when doind some online presentations.

I need to have this fixed. So far, nothing suggested from communities helped me and there's no response from the Netgear whatsoever.

This is the logs at the time this happens:

[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.178.40, Monday, May 17,2021 14:48:23
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.4)] to MAC address EC:B5:FA:1F:F3:B0, Monday, May 17,2021 14:48:16
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.24)] to MAC address 70:9E:29:4F:39:2A, Monday, May 17,2021 14:48:14
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.5)] to MAC address 00:04:A3:20:84:97, Monday, May 17,2021 14:48:14
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Monday, May 17,2021 14:48:07

==== Connection drops =====

[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.178.40, Monday, May 17,2021 14:47:03
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.4)] to MAC address EC:B5:FA:1F:F3:B0, Monday, May 17,2021 14:46:59
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.5)] to MAC address 00:04:A3:20:84:97, Monday, May 17,2021 14:46:59
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.24)] to MAC address 70:9E:29:4F:39:2A, Monday, May 17,2021 14:46:59
[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.3, Monday, May 17,2021 14:46:48
The firmware is updated to the latest version available: 
Hardware Version: RAX80
Firmware Version: V1.0.3.106_1.0.50
GUI Language Version: V1.0.3.106_2.1.46.1

Please, I need to have this fixed.
Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 25
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: [Time synchronized with NTP server] RAX80 Router disconnects me from the internet from time t...

Hello pleroy, 

May you revert to the previous firmware version below and let me know how it turns out. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062282/RAX80-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-102

Christian 

Message 2 of 25
pleroy
Initiate

Re: [Time synchronized with NTP server] RAX80 Router disconnects me from the internet from time t...

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that already. Didn't work.

Message 3 of 25
Kroozer
Star

Re: [Time synchronized with NTP server] RAX80 Router disconnects me from the internet from time to t

I have contacted NETGEAR Pro Support many times over this issue.  They replaced the modem through the extended warranty, which did not resolve issue.  I called yesterday and they had me change the secondary DNS to 4.2.2.2.  Just checked my log and found that there was a disconnect earlier following a time synchronization.  Only seems to affect LAN connected devices. We had a phonecall drop due to this issue - VOIP through LAN cable.  I will probably bug them more frequently until my extended warranty expires.  The RAX80 has much better coverage and speed than the R7000, but I did not have this issue with my last modem.  Not sure which modem I should consider if this cannot be resolved.

Message 4 of 25
Nmouneimne
Apprentice

Unfortunately, this is a widespread problem with the RAX80 and one that has been going on for a long time. There are several threads on the issue and there has been no acknowledgment from Netgear. I suspect they are not acknowledging the issue because it is a hardware problem that cannot be resolved through firmware. 

If you are in your return window, that consider another product. I know this is not particularly helpful, but there is not much you can do absent placing a different router in front of the RAX80 and using the RAX80 solely for Wi-Fi.

If you keep hounding Netgear, please keep us unformed.  

Message 5 of 25
TheShadowWw
Tutor

same issue I have with RAX80 usaly ntp those not crash the internet, but sometimes is those

[Internet connected] IP address: "my ip", Wednesday, Jul 21,2021 12:53:03
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Wednesday, Jul 21,2021 12:53:02

[Internet connected] IP address: "my ip", Tuesday, Jul 20,2021 12:21:50
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Tuesday, Jul 20,2021 12:21:49
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Tuesday, Jul 20,2021 12:20:17

[Internet connected] IP address: "my ip", Tuesday, Jul 20,2021 02:05:15
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Tuesday, Jul 20,2021 02:05:14
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Tuesday, Jul 20,2021 01:59:28
Message 6 of 25
Deadaus
Tutor

Hi,

I get the same result as above. Whenever the router does a Time synchronized with NTP server, the ethernet link drops to my Synology Diskstation DS220+ and is logged:

Info System 2021-10-09 14:01:48 SYSTEM [LAN 2] link up.

Info System 2021-10-09 14:01:45 SYSTEM [LAN 2] link down.

The RAX 80 logs are:

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Saturday, Oct 09,2021 14:01:45

The happens once a day or sometimes twice a day. Does not look like we can control when Time synchronized with NTP server can happen. This would make the problem less of an issue if we can run it in the middle of the night. This affects anything connected to the ethernet cable connection including my PS5 will drop and immediately come back up. First, did all the notmal changing the cables, new cable modem to router, problem always comes back.

Message 7 of 25
Kroozer
Star

Wanted to provide an update for those who have been having momentary discoonnect issues corresponding to the "Time Synrocization".

I have had this issue for two years now and have made multiple calls to customer support.  The cases were closed with no resolution.

Well, I opened a case in October 2021 and have been following up with the online ticket this time along with phone calls and responses to NETGEAR customer support emails.

My case was escalated to Level 2 support and then engineering.

I was provided with a "Beta" firmware update.  I have not experienced any intermitent diisconnects on wired/wireless devices.  Unfortunately, my download speed has dropped from 900 Mbps to about 70 MBps after downloading the "Beta" firmware.  Once engineering is satisfied that the disconnect issue has been resolved, they will address the speed issue introduced by the Beta firmware.

I am hopeful that the disconnect/speed issue will be addressed and included in future firmware updates.  This has taken a lot of time and effort to resolve. (Phone calls, emails, debug log recording/forwading, resets, etc.) Probably should have purchased a different router, but it was the principle of the matter for me.

Message 8 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 9 of 25
Kroozer
Star

@FURRYe38,I own my modem.

I currently have the Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem, Model MB8611, that I purchased about a five months ago.

Before that, I had the Arris DOCSIS 3.1, Model SB8200.

I purchased the Motorola to eliminate the modem as a cause of the disconnects.

I had the same disconnect issues on both.

About two weeks ago, Netgear provided me with Beta firmware.  This is the first time I have not experienced the random disconnects.

Message 10 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

IF your having problems with ISP and modems, first make sure the ISP and modem is working well. Lots of false problems pointed at a router comes from the modem side. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 11 of 25
Nmouneimne
Apprentice

Thank you for all your efforts. Please keep us posted.

Message 12 of 25
Nmouneimne
Apprentice

How is your speed on the beta? Another user reported a substantial reduction in speed.

Message 13 of 25
Kroozer
Star

@FURRYe38,

Thank you for your recommendations.

I have tried all of your recommendation early in the game.  I did have the coax going through the UPS, so removed the coax and plugged directly into the wall - no change.

I checked with ISP to verify the modem was properly configured.

I have powered the modem and NG router off for extended periods.

Message 14 of 25
Kroozer
Star

@Nmouneimne, I did notice a considerable speed drop.  I have 1Gps service.  My wired/wireless speeds dropped from ~800 Mbps to 70 Mbps.

I provided this feedback to NETGEAR and was told they would address the speed drop caused by the beta firmware would be addressed once the engineers are satisfied that the disconnect issue had been resolved.

Message 15 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

LAN cables checked? CAT6 is recommended.

@Kroozer wrote:

@FURRYe38,

Thank you for your recommendations.

I have tried all of your recommendation early in the game.  I did have the coax going through the UPS, so removed the coax and plugged directly into the wall - no change.

I checked with ISP to verify the modem was properly configured.

I have powered the modem and NG router off for extended periods.

Message 16 of 25
Nmouneimne
Apprentice

@Kroozer  - Any updates for us? I thought this router was a lost cause. I glad to hear the Netgear is not sweeping it under the rug.

Message 17 of 25
Kroozer
Star

@Nmouneimne

I provided a debug log and a few speed test results this past week.

I will reach out towards the end of the week of I have not heard back to give engineering a chance to do their work.

I have not witnessed any random disconnects since uploading the beta firmware.

However, my wired and wireless speeds have dropped from ~ 900 Mbps to ~ 70 Mbps.

I have another issue is a "spoofed" DIRECTV Genie 2 MAC address that tries connect every 5-10 seconds, filling my logs in 3 hours.  (I have 900-1000 of these entries in my log at any given time.)  This only occurs with the DIRECTV Genie 2 and I have had it replaced with same results. Example:  Actual MAC Address:  11:22:33:44:55:66, "Spoofed" MAC Address: 10:22:33:44:55;65.

Message 18 of 25
Nmouneimne
Apprentice

Any updates for us?

Message 19 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

@pleroy @Deadaus @Nmouneimne @Kroozer 

Can you let us know if this is still happening in most recent version of FW for the RAX80 please:

https://kb.netgear.com/000064238/RAX80-Firmware-Version-1-0-5-132

Message 20 of 25
Kroozer
Star

NETGEAR provided  "Beta" firmware that resolved the disconnect issue, but caused my download speed to drop to ~100 MBS on 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz.  I experienced disconnects with the latest released firmware, so reverted back to the beta.

I received a call yesterday and was provided a second beta firmware.  My download speed on 2.4 GHz peaked out at 135 MB/s and 5 GHz peaked out at 690 MB/s.  I have 1 GHz service from XFINITY.

What are your download speeds?

They also had me change my 5 GHz channel 161 and mode to up to 2400 MBPS, which improved the 5GHz speed, but seems to have reduced my range.

I am still having two other issues that they told me not to worry about:

1. My DIRECTV DVR "spoofs" a second IP address with a different value in the first and last number in IP address.  This address appears in my logs every few seconds, filling my logs.  I was unable to block this IP address in the router settings.  When I swapped to my R7000, I saw the same IP address issue.

2. I have seen a lot of DDOS attacks in my logs.  I was told that this was the router identifying these attacks and not to worry about it.  I did NOT see these DOS attacks when I had swapped to my R7000 for troubleshooting.

Message 21 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

@Kroozer I presume the disconnect issue is due to the NTP syncro issue that was first posted on and has been working now with this last two betas you got from NG? 

@Kroozer wrote:

NETGEAR provided  "Beta" firmware that resolved the disconnect issue, but caused my download speed to drop to ~100 MBS on 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz.  I experienced disconnects with the latest released firmware, so reverted back to the beta.

I received a call yesterday and was provided a second beta firmware.  My download speed on 2.4 GHz peaked out at 135 MB/s and 5 GHz peaked out at 690 MB/s.  I have 1 GHz service from XFINITY. <Those are around to spec speeds on this model router. Depending on what your wireless device supports and the MIMO support, 690Mbps is very good. 

What are your download speeds?

They also had me change my 5 GHz channel 161 and mode to up to 2400 MBPS, which improved the 5GHz speed, but seems to have reduced my range.

I am still having two other issues that they told me not to worry about:

1. My DIRECTV DVR "spoofs" a second IP address with a different value in the first and last number in IP address.  This address appears in my logs every few seconds, filling my logs.  I was unable to block this IP address in the router settings.  When I swapped to my R7000, I saw the same IP address issue. <Something you might contact DirecTV about and see why there DVR is spoofing. 

2. I have seen a lot of DDOS attacks in my logs.  I was told that this was the router identifying these attacks and not to worry about it.  I did NOT see these DOS attacks when I had swapped to my R7000 for troubleshooting. <What happens if you turn off all the logging on the router? 

Message 22 of 25
Kroozer
Star

Yes, disconnects corresponding with the time synchronized with NTO server log entries.
Message 23 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thank you for letting us know. Hopefully NG can get this out to users in next full official release. 

Message 24 of 25
Nmouneimne
Apprentice

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7