× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Tracking web usage per device?

todd1010
Apprentice

Tracking web usage per device?

Is there a way to compile data usage per devices within the Nighthawk app or some other way. 

I've got a 1gig speed but I seem to be going over my data limit for the month. 

I basically want to know which device is using up the data, I've never used this much data in 20 years. I do stream more stuff but not much more that in the past. 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Tracking web usage per device?

its literally the #1 requested feature.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Bandwidth-monitoring-by-device/idi-p/1627368

Sadly, you have to do it the hard way. Look at what devices you expect to use the most data like streamers or gaming. They tend to use the most. Most isp's like comcast have a data useage monitor on their website. shut off a couple high useage devices for a day and see how it impacts your daily useage. You might be surprised at how much is used. 4k streaming can use 6-10gb/hr/device. That's roughly 100 hours of streaming a month. but break it down and its only 3-4 hours a day which if you have more than 1 device/person streaming, can easily be done.  Or if you have a gamer in the household. that can use quite a bit of data too. 

Message 2 of 5
todd1010
Apprentice

Thanks for that information.

I’d also think that given I have the Xfinity 1gig Internet, comcast would up your data a little versus someone with a 25mb Internet.
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@todd1010 wrote:
Thanks for that information.

I’d also think that given I have the Xfinity 1gig Internet, comcast would up your data a little versus someone with a 25mb Internet.

I'm in the same boat with xfinity. Its unfortunate when 4k streaming and gaming is becoming more prevalent that they haven't upped it a bit. But they're making money off charging an extra $50 for unlimited. 

Message 4 of 5
todd1010
Apprentice

Yeah I was told I could up it for $50
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements