× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trying to connect to Starlink Dish on different subnet

LdBzinski
Guide

Trying to connect to Starlink Dish on different subnet

I have a Netgear Nighthawk RAX70 connected to the Starlink dish (instead of the provided router which, if I can get this working, isn't necessary.) Others have been successful using their own routers but they are different makes and models.

My router's IP address is 192.168.10.1. The Starlink dish's IP address is 192.168.100.1

On the Starlink forum they tell you to create a static route with a gateway of 0.0.0.0 but that is not an accepted gateway on this device. They also mention using the dish's address as the gateway which also doesn't work. 

With over 10,000 subscribers now, I would think that someone with this router would have figured this out. If you have it working, could you please tell me how you did it? It would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
LdBzinski
Guide

Looks like my screenshot from my last post didn't work so here's the info you need.

First, find your Gateway IP Address by clicking on the Advanced tab then click Advanced Home. On the right side of your window you will see "Internet Port". Scroll down to the IP Address. It will look similar to the following: 100.66.106.142

Create a Static Route with the following:

Give it a name such as: Starlink Dish

Destination IP Address: 192.168.100.0

IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway IP Address: (that you looked up)

Metric: 2   (if 2 doesn't work, try 3 or 5)

You're welcome!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello LdBzinski,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 8
LdBzinski
Guide

Well that's too funny! I've been emailing back and forth to support and they have been absolutely useless.I explaned the issue in minute detail. No help at all to make any kind of configuration changes on the Netgear router. They told me: You need to bypass the router, connect a computer using ethernet cable directly on the modem and access modem default IP address which is 192.168.100.1.

So much for the $500 router and Netgear support! Totally frustrated and disappointed. I will never buy Netgear again!!!

Message 3 of 8
antinode
Guru

> I have a Netgear Nighthawk RAX70 connected to the Starlink dish
> (instead of the provided router [...]

The non-psychics in your audience might know very little about your
(unspecified) "the Starlink dish" or your (unspecified) "the provided
router" or its (invisible) configuration.

> [...] The Starlink dish's IP address is 192.168.100.1

Perhaps it is, but that's not obvious.  A DOCSIS cable modem also
responds at that address, but it has little significance to the user's
network.

If you connect the RAX70 to it, what does the RAX70 get as the IP
address for its WAN/Internet interface? (ADVANCED > ADVANCED Home :
Internet Port : Internet IP Address)

> On the Starlink forum [...]

Thanks for the helpful link.

> [...] I explaned the issue in minute detail. [...]

If you provided them the same kind of "minute detail" as you provided
here, then I would not be amazed if you got no useful response.

My guess would be that when you said "192.168.100.1", they heard
"cable modem", and followed their script.

Another example of a poor problem description:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/2044964

Message 4 of 8
LdBzinski
Guide

Static Route Only.JPG

Should anyone have this same problem, the screenshot of the static IP address configuration I created above should help you get your Starlink satellite dish set up so that you can access its webpage and view statistics and other tools. Fortunately, I was able to get some help from the Reddit community forum for Starlink satellite dish users. You would, of course, use your own Internet Port IP address as the Gateway IP Address. Mine is now working.

Message 5 of 8
LdBzinski
Guide

Looks like my screenshot from my last post didn't work so here's the info you need.

First, find your Gateway IP Address by clicking on the Advanced tab then click Advanced Home. On the right side of your window you will see "Internet Port". Scroll down to the IP Address. It will look similar to the following: 100.66.106.142

Create a Static Route with the following:

Give it a name such as: Starlink Dish

Destination IP Address: 192.168.100.0

IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway IP Address: (that you looked up)

Metric: 2   (if 2 doesn't work, try 3 or 5)

You're welcome!

Message 6 of 8
Nyquist91
Aspirant

This will fail, as the Starlink dish periodically assigns a new IP to the router. When it does the static route will fail. Try using 0.0.0.0 for the gateway, not the actual IP. The Orbi I have won't allow 0.0.0.0 to be used so we are out of luck. Maybe this other Netgear hardware is different.

Message 7 of 8
LdBzinski
Guide

You're right. The IP address will change so we have to change it in the static route. No big deal. Using 0.0.0.0 will work but it's not an option on my router. I'm fine with changing it when necessary. I don't have to do it every day.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7