× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to setup Kasa smart plugs and my nighthawk modem kicks off all wifi to my house

Scoves
Aspirant

Trying to setup Kasa smart plugs and my nighthawk modem kicks off all wifi to my house

I have the nighthawk model RAX35.   I just obtained some Kasa Smart WIFI Plug Lite HS103's.  When I try to set them up to my internet so they can be used my wifi goes down.  The Modem disconnects all wifi and will not turn it back on.  I have to unplug the Kasa Smart plug to get it to start my wifi back up.  Something is going on between the modem and the Kasa smart plugs.  I tried working with Kasa but they said it is not on their end.  That it is on the Netgears modem end.   Which stinks for me becuase I am a few months out of warranty to get support.  Which makes it almost cheaper to go out and by a whole new modem instead perhaps not a netgear one at that.   I am wondering before I do all that if anyone has had similar issues and had them resolved?  Or would know why this occurs.  I have set up another brand of smart plug and it works fine along with other wifi items I use but for some reason the kasa ones disagree with my modem.  Thank you for any help.

Firmware version by the way for my modem is v1.0.3.62_1.0.1

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Scoves
Aspirant

Re: Trying to setup Kasa smart plugs and my nighthawk modem kicks off all wifi to my house

I solved the issue finally.  I was able to update my firmware and it fixed the issue. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Trying to setup Kasa smart plugs and my nighthawk modem kicks off all wifi to my house

This question is more likely to get a response from someone who knows about Nighthawk AX routers if posted in the community forum for those products:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/bd-p/en-home-routers-nighthawk-wif... 

I have several KASA 105's connected to my Netgear Orbi WiFi. They were the easiest smart plugs to set up.  I canot think of any reason why connecting a smart plug would cause any WiFi system to shut down.  Since the "complimentary" support period has expired, if no one on the AX forum has a suggestion, I would switch to another brand of smart plug.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this over in the Nighthawk RAX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/bd-p/en-home-routers-nighthawk-wif...

Thank you. 

Message 3 of 5
Scoves
Aspirant

I solved the issue finally.  I was able to update my firmware and it fixed the issue. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to post in the RAX forum for any future help and information. 

Enjoy. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7