× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Two Nighthawk AX5400 (RAX50) routers in one house? U-Verse related!

JimTurkey
Guide

Two Nighthawk AX5400 (RAX50) routers in one house? U-Verse related!

Our house is in the shape of a capital "L". Our U-Verse BGW210 is located at the small end of the "L". Our bedroom & office are located at the big end of the "L". As a result, our wi-fi reception is spotty throughout the house, and especially at the big end of the "L". 

So I am going to set up my new Nighthawk AX5400 (RAX50) router to the BGW210 at the small end of the "L". The AX5400 has a reach of 2500 square feet but to ensure maximum reach & wi-fi in our house, can I use a second AX5400 in a more central location of the house? Is this doable?

Message 1 of 28
plemans
Guru

Re: Two Nighthawk AX5400 (RAX50) routers in one house? U-Verse related!

If you're needing 2x devices, might be better to check into a mesh system like orbi or the MK nighthawk

I'd check into the tribands as the dedicated backhaul helps quite a bit. 

Not sure if you have the RAX50 already but for the price of 2x of them, the MK83 or RBK753 would be cheaper and have another satellite to help with coverage. 

Message 2 of 28
JimTurkey
Guide

We currently have a Google Nest Wifi set up. The router is set up with the U-Verse BGW210, 1 point is located at the intersection of the "L", and 1 point is in the middle of the big part of the "L". Our internet service is 1000Mbps with us actually testing out at around 900 at the Google router. However, at the of the big part of the "L" we are sometimes seeing 20Mbps. This doesn't work with my wife's job as an online teacher.

So I guess my question is this: Would the Orbi perform better than the Google Nest?

Message 3 of 28
plemans
Guru

what model google wifi is it? 

The tribands have been pretty rock solid and allow daisy chaining. 

It really helps with speeds for the situation like you're in where its L shaped

Message 4 of 28
JimTurkey
Guide

Google Nest WiFi Router 3 Pack (2nd Generation) – 4x4 AC2200 Mesh Wi-Fi Routers with 6600 Sq Ft Coverage

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F1YPMS1?tag=cnet-api-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=144a775d-ee29...
Message 5 of 28
plemans
Guru

That model is based on a dual band router. It doesn't have a dedicated backhaul. So if its setup in a daisy chain configuration, each hop in the chain takes a 50% speed loss of whatever its getting. Plus 2.4ghz is slower. 

So if you're paying for 200mbps. Thats what the first router/Satellite is starting at. 

The 2nd satellite might get that full 200 mbps over 5ghz and say roughly 60mbps over 2.4ghz (2.4ghz is slow). That's what it receives. It sends out to devices half of that so 100mbps over 5ghz and 30mbps over 2.4ghz.

Say if the 3rd device gets full speeds and has the 100mbps over 5ghz and 30mbps over 2.4ghz is only going to put out 50mbps over 5ghz and 15mbps over 2.4ghz. 

Again, those are rough figures and the satellites never receive full speeds that are sent out because of distance/interference/etc. 

If you have the chance, hardwire in that nest home products. They support wired backhaul and then don't take the same speed hit. Also check if you're using 2.4ghz or 5ghz when using speeds. 2.4ghz is a slow network and if you're daisy chained, it impacts it even more. 

Benefit to triband mesh systems is that they have a dedicated wireless backhaul between router and satellites. So they don't take the same speed hit on the first leg of it. The 2nd one is going to decrease performance but not as much as the dual band systems. 

Message 6 of 28
JimTurkey
Guide

@plemans wrote:

what model google wifi is it? 

The tribands have been pretty rock solid and allow daisy chaining. 

It really helps with speeds for the situation like you're in where its L shaped

So of the following options, which would you recommend based on my situation:

Orbi AX6000

Nighthawk AX5400 (RAX50)

Google Nest WiFi

As a reminder, our house (2300 square feet) is in the shape of a capital "L". Our U-Verse BGW210 is located at the small end of the "L". Our bedroom & office are located at the big end of the "L". As a result, our wi-fi reception is spotty throughout the house, and especially at the big end of the "L". We pay for 1000Mbps but are seeiming only 20Mbps at times in the bedroom & office.

Message 7 of 28
plemans
Guru

I'd look at the RBK753 renewed on amazon. Half the price of those. Not the same performance as the RBK853 but has the wireless backhaul that'll help. 

The RBK853 is the top of the line. But it costs that. 

I'd look for a set with the 2 satellites (so router + 2 satellites). That way you can put one in the middle to help with performance. 

Message 8 of 28
JimTurkey
Guide

@plemans wrote:

I'd look at the RBK753 renewed on amazon. Half the price of those. Not the same performance as the RBK853 but has the wireless backhaul that'll help. 

The RBK853 is the top of the line. But it costs that. 

I'd look for a set with the 2 satellites (so router + 2 satellites). That way you can put one in the middle to help with performance. 

Is the RBK853 overkill for a typical home office situation?

Message 9 of 28
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't call anything overkill unless you were on slow dsl. 

Its all based on what you need/use. 

If all you're doing is some streaming/work from home and not needing the absolute fastest, the RBK753 would work.

If you're moving massive amounts of data, the RBK853 would be the route. 

Message 10 of 28
JimTurkey
Guide

@plemans wrote:

I wouldn't call anything overkill unless you were on slow dsl. 

Its all based on what you need/use. 

If all you're doing is some streaming/work from home and not needing the absolute fastest, the RBK753 would work.

If you're moving massive amounts of data, the RBK853 would be the route. 

And you'd recommend the RBK753 over the Nighthawk AX5400 (RAX50) router in my situation?

Message 11 of 28
plemans
Guru

yes. If you think you're needing a router and extender/access point, I'd go with a mesh system. 

they tend to be more stable, roam quicker, and just tend to work. Plus you can add more satellites as needed. 

Message 12 of 28
JimTurkey
Guide

@plemans wrote:

yes. If you think you're needing a router and extender/access point, I'd go with a mesh system. 

they tend to be more stable, roam quicker, and just tend to work. Plus you can add more satellites as needed. 

I just want what will work for me. I don't care what it is. And right now, the Google options isn't cutting it.

So let's say I go RBK753, will it work with my U-Verse BGW210?

And what ethernet cables should I buy? I'm getting 2 RJ45 ethernet jacks installed so the added ethernet ports of the RBK753 are a +++ (Google only has ethernot ports on the router)

Message 13 of 28
plemans
Guru

Are you adding in the hardwired points in locations you could hardwire in the nests? Their speeds would improve quite a bit if hardwired

Message 14 of 28
JimTurkey
Guide

@plemans wrote:

Are you adding in the hardwired points in locations you could hardwire in the nests? Their speeds would improve quite a bit if hardwired

The Nest points cannot be hardwired, only the router. 

Message 15 of 28
JimTurkey
Guide

Oh man, I just realized that the RBK753 is nearly 10' tall. Not sure the wife is going to go for that, especially since one is going to be front and center in the living room (not our choice).

What do you think about the AX6000 WiFi Router (RAX120)

Message 16 of 28
plemans
Guru

The MK83 system is a bit smaller. Not quite the performance but still triband

Message 17 of 28
JimTurkey
Guide

Just thought of something, does each RBK753 point have to be hardwired?

Message 18 of 28
plemans
Guru

No. They support wireless and wired backhaul. You can use either
Message 19 of 28
JimTurkey
Guide

Great. Do I need the RBK753 or will the RBK752 work just as well?

Yes, i’m just going to go this route instead of a router.
Message 20 of 28
plemans
Guru

A "renewed" RBK753 is only $10 more than a "new" RBK752 on amazon. (i'd link to but its part of the T&C of the forum)

I'd be checking into the renewed for th extra satellite. Its worth it. Especially if you need it for the daisy chaining to cover your whole home. 

If you're worried about having a short warranty on renewed, amazon's warranties are pretty darned cheap and you'll still be far below the price of 2x RAX50's.  

Message 21 of 28
JimTurkey
Guide

Great point.

Lastly, is it best to hardwire the satelites? 

Message 22 of 28
plemans
Guru

"best" ?

Maybe. I always try to hardwire in satellites when I can but my orbi's have performed well enough I haven't noticed a difference when I'm running a mix of hardwired and wireless. 

Message 23 of 28
JimTurkey
Guide

From what I have read, there is no difference really between the RBK753 and RBK753, right?

By the way, you've been a huge help. Thank you.

Message 24 of 28
plemans
Guru

@JimTurkey wrote:

From what I have read, there is no difference really between the RBK753 and RBK753, right?----well since they're the same models.....unless you mistyped. 

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7