× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Two routers on one network netgear setup

cullen1jim
Aspirant

Two routers on one network netgear setup

Do i need two routers. i have a nighthawk and the wrn1000 that came with my home security system?

Message 1 of 5

Re: Two routers on one network netgear setup

@cullen1jim wrote:

Do i need two routers.

No. This is a very bad idea.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate, but sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@cullen1jim wrote:

i have a nighthawk and the wrn1000 that came with my home security system?

The WNR1000 is an old (1969) downmarket device that will add nothing much to your network.

You don't say what your Nighthawk router is. You have posted in the "AX" section, so I assume some sort of RAX device.

Nor do we know anything about your home security system. You will need to consult its manual to work out how to set it up.

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

The WNR1000 is an old (1969) downmarket device ...

Hm, a router built from TTL devices and used to bring Apolle 11 to the moon? 8-)

Message 3 of 5
cullen1jim
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. i need help doing any of the things you recomend.

Message 4 of 5

@cullen1jim wrote:

Thank you for your help. i need help doing any of the things you recomend.

What make is the home security system?

How does it connect to your WNR1000 router? Wifi? Wired LAN?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7