× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB-connected External Hard drive AX12 RAX120 router

VelkySyr
Tutor

USB-connected External Hard drive AX12 RAX120 router

I purchased a Fantom Drives 4TB external Hard Drive which is compatible with Mac's Time Machine, and connected it to my AX12 RAX120 router via USB.  The router is running firmward version V1.0.1.114.  Under the Advanced tab>Advanced Setup>USB Settings, it is listed as an Approved Device.  The hard drive is Mac and Time Machine compatible, and I formatted it APFS Encrypted.  I cannot for the life of me get the hard drive to show up in Finder, let alone Time Machine.  I purchased it to replace a dead Time Capsule.  I had no luck with ReadySHARE - no scan will detect the hard drive.  I am not a network engineer, so my troubleshooting abilities are admittedly limited.

Any help with this, to be able to recognize the external hard drive via finder while connected to the router via USB would be greatly appreciated.  It works fine when connected directly to my iMac Pro (running MacOS 10.15.3 Catalina), is recognized, and of course I used the iMac to format it.  Should I reformat the hard drive without encryption?  Thank you once and all!!  David

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 5
avtella
Prodigy

Re: USB-connected External Hard drive AX12 RAX120 router

The ReadyShare feature doesn’t support APFS. Use another file system format, listed in the link below are supported formats.

https://kb.netgear.com/24059/What-are-the-USB-drive-requirements-for-my-Nighthawk-router
Message 2 of 5
racsoboom
Aspirant

i have the same problem, can access the drive through the readyshare cloud - so the RAX must be able to see it - 

but cannot access it from my imac or other computer

i don't fully understand this answer though sorry.

when i click on 'network' in the finder, then RAX120, it says 'connection failed' even with the correct user name (admin) and password 😞

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
racsoboom
Aspirant

Did you answer this????

@racsoboom wrote:

i have the same problem, can access the drive through the readyshare cloud - so the RAX must be able to see it - 

but cannot access it from my imac or other computer

i don't fully understand this answer though sorry.

when i click on 'network' in the finder, then RAX120, it says 'connection failed' even with the correct user name (admin) and password 😞

i have the exact problem and am thinking of returning the product (aldo got the ax80 extender) 😞

thx

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
themisn
Aspirant

I purchased a WD My passport Ultra for Mac and can see it shared, but cannot see it when I go on readycloud to see it remotely.  I have the exact opposite problem.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7