× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to Access Advanced Tab in Routerlogin Portal After Firmware Update

syrock
Guide

Unable to Access Advanced Tab in Routerlogin Portal After Firmware Update

Hello,

Router Model: RAX45 — Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 WiFi Router

Previous Firmware: 1.0.2.82 (released January 2021)

Current Firmware: 1.0.5.106 (released December 2021)

Situation: I am unable to click the advanced tab when accessing the routerlogin portal through multiple browsers.

Background: I noticed my 5GHz connection was dropping wifi signal occassionally while 2.4GHz was still operational. The 5GHz would return after a few minutes without the need to reboot the router. This issue became more frequent, prompting me to check I have the most up to date software. I logged into the routerlogin portal and went to advanced settings to review my firmware version. I had previously selected to auto-update firmware when setting up the router, which did not appear to be working since I was still on 1.0.2.82 (released January 2021). I checked for updates and found a new version was available (1.0.5.106; released December 2021). I tried to use the internal portal program to update the software but kept receiving a GUI failure message. Instead, I opted to download the firmware file to my laptop and update manually. The download completed successfully and my wifi is working without issue. However, now I am unable to click the advanced settings tab on the routerlogin page. This means I can no longer access advanced settings to manually adjust wifi channels or check for new firmware updates. I logged into the routerlogin portal from multiple devices using different browsers (macbook pro safari, iphone safari, and windows 10 microsoft edge) and all have the same issue. I attached a screenshot of my homepage for reference.

Primary Assessment: It appears there is a bug not allowing users to click the advanced tab within the routerlogin portal.

Secondary Assessment: It appears the auto-update firmware feature does not work appropriately.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on how to fix this? Is it a possible bug in the new firmware?

Andrew

Message 1 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to clear out all browser caches prior to entering into the routers web page.

Try a full on factory reset and setup from scratch...

Message 2 of 40
dmitch77
Star

Is one of the failing browsers Safari? This is a Netgear bug that is becoming well-known...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/Latest-RAX43-Firmware-doesn-t-work...

I filed a support ticket last week; I have yet to hear a response. My workaround is to use Firefox on Mac. There is no workaround browse for iOS or iPadOS.

Message 3 of 40
amonynuts
Apprentice

I have the same issue.  Powered on this brand new AX6 Nighthawk router which was running FW version 1.0.2 and working fine, but as soon as it upgraded to version 1.0.5 I can no longer access the Advanced tab.  I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, multiple devices, and tried clearing the browser cache.  Did a hard reset on the router.  Customer support gave me a case number but was no help.  It's going back to Costco on Thursday.

Message 4 of 40
JJM55
Aspirant

Advance tab stopped working after update.  

Message 5 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Does FireFox work to access the menu item? 

@DarrenM @Altsai 

@JJM55 wrote:

Advance tab stopped working after update.  

Message 6 of 40
amonynuts
Apprentice

Under the Basic tab, I can click on Home, Internet, etc, and these menu items work.  The Nighthawk app also works, but I need to configure many more settings than are available in the app.  Using Firefox on a laptop, the mouse pointer switches from an arrow to a hand when I hover over the word Advanced, but there is no response when I click it.  Interestingly enough I was able to go into the Advanced menu once on my iPhone and assumed it started working so I started configuring and one of the first thing I did was to enable HTTPS, and then the Advanced tab immediately stopped working again.

Router model RAX45-100NAS Nighthawk AX6 AX4300 

Firmware V1.0.6.106_2.0.70

Message 7 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

After enabling HTTPs for Web Managment Services, did you clear out the browser cache the exit the brower the re-load the browser then use HTTPS to enter the routers web page? 

@amonynuts wrote:

Under the Basic tab, I can click on Home, Internet, etc, and these menu items work.  The Nighthawk app also works, but I need to configure many more settings than are available in the app.  Using Firefox on a laptop, the mouse pointer switches from an arrow to a hand when I hover over the word Advanced, but there is no response when I click it.  Interestingly enough I was able to go into the Advanced menu once on my iPhone and assumed it started working so I started configuring and one of the first thing I did was to enable HTTPS, and then the Advanced tab immediately stopped working again.

Router model RAX45-100NAS Nighthawk AX6 AX4300 

Firmware V1.0.6.106_2.0.70

Message 8 of 40
amonynuts
Apprentice

I tried that.  Clearing the browser's cache, even using a different computer, did not help.

I suppose there's no URL that I can enter to bypass the JavaScript & access the Advanced options directly...

Message 9 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

So disabling Web Management Services help to fix this or is it still not accessible to the Advanced Tab? 

Message 10 of 40
amonynuts
Apprentice

Please clarify the question.  AFAIK, Web Management Services is a Windows thing, and my clients are all iOS or Linux based.

Message 11 of 40
amonynuts
Apprentice

Downgrading to firmware V1.0.4.100 resolved the issue for me.

Message 12 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

I was wondering if you disabled the Web Management Services option if this helped gain access to the advanced tab. 

Well if this helps reverting. I'll see if we can get some review on this issue as it seem to be effecting users. 

Message 13 of 40
Bruce10
Aspirant

I have same problem on RAX43: unable to access "advance" tab after manual update to latest firmwear. I wanted Advance tab to enable automatic firmwear updates. Hope Netgear can fix their problem soon.

Message 14 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to contact NG support and let them know. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 15 of 40
syrock
Guide

How did you downgrade if unable to access the advanced tab?

Message 16 of 40
syrock
Guide

@amonynuts wrote:

Downgrading to firmware V1.0.4.100 resolved the issue for me.

How did you downgrade if unable to access the advanced tab?

Message 17 of 40
amonynuts
Apprentice

@syrock Great question.  I was sent the following link by Netgear customer support and I was about to try this flashing method using a linux desktop using the "tftp" command:  https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

BUT, as soon as I connected my linux desktop to a wired port of the router and ran the latest version of Chome, as luck would have it I found that the Advanced tab actually worked using this browser version.  So I just used the "Router Upgrade" option in the Advanced menu to manually load the older firmware (versus the method above) from a file.

I also had to find the older firmware images on the Netgear website (will be in a different location depending on your router model).

Also I will note that once I got the router configured to my liking via the Advanced tab, I went ahead and upgraded to V1.0.5.106 again, just to make sure the latest security patches are installed.

Message 18 of 40
dmitch77
Star

Well I submitted a ticket on this one 10 days ago and I have not heard a single response. That is pathetic customer support. This is the last piece of Netgear hardware I am ever buying. They used to be the gold standard for wifi routers. Alas, no more.

Message 19 of 40
G35flyer
Star

I found a workaround. Once connected to the routers Basic web interface type any junk behind your rounter url....for example: https://192.168.1.1/junk 

You will get a 404 error, then hit the broswer back button and you can then gain access to the Advanced settings.

Message 20 of 40
Twitchrot
Star

Mate this is rubbish.  You can't log a job if you don't have a current support contract and most of these issues are effecting people who have had these routers for over a year or more and probably don't have a current support contract.  It is a good way to get extra cash out of people but if this is Netgear's new business model then I'm not sure you will succeed in the long term.  

Why would someone take out an extended support contract when its over half the price of a new router.  Advice to factory reset a device and start again is akin to asking "have your turned it off and on again.  That won't fix poor change management practices, sloppy coding resulting in interface problems introduced between router firmware upgrades.  

Message 21 of 40
Foundtony
Tutor

Router model: AX6 RAX45 Nighthawk

I'm using Apple iPad Pro with the AX6 RAX45 Nighthawk router, just purchased at Costco. . After using Duck-Duck-Go to manually perform the firmware upgrade to V1.0.5.106 I was not able to access the Advanced Tab using Safari or Duck-Duck-Go. However, on my MacBook Pro I can access the Advanced Tab using Google Chrome. 

@syrock wrote:

Hello,

Router Model: RAX45 — Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 WiFi Router

Previous Firmware: 1.0.2.82 (released January 2021)

Current Firmware: 1.0.5.106 (released December 2021)

Situation: I am unable to click the advanced tab when accessing the routerlogin portal through multiple browsers.

Background: I noticed my 5GHz connection was dropping wifi signal occassionally while 2.4GHz was still operational. The 5GHz would return after a few minutes without the need to reboot the router. This issue became more frequent, prompting me to check I have the most up to date software. I logged into the routerlogin portal and went to advanced settings to review my firmware version. I had previously selected to auto-update firmware when setting up the router, which did not appear to be working since I was still on 1.0.2.82 (released January 2021). I checked for updates and found a new version was available (1.0.5.106; released December 2021). I tried to use the internal portal program to update the software but kept receiving a GUI failure message. Instead, I opted to download the firmware file to my laptop and update manually. The download completed successfully and my wifi is working without issue. However, now I am unable to click the advanced settings tab on the routerlogin page. This means I can no longer access advanced settings to manually adjust wifi channels or check for new firmware updates. I logged into the routerlogin portal from multiple devices using different browsers (macbook pro safari, iphone safari, and windows 10 microsoft edge) and all have the same issue. I attached a screenshot of my homepage for reference.

Primary Assessment: It appears there is a bug not allowing users to click the advanced tab within the routerlogin portal.

Secondary Assessment: It appears the auto-update firmware feature does not work appropriately.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on how to fix this? Is it a possible bug in the new firmware?

Andrew

Message 22 of 40
Rubikscube
Aspirant

Hello, I am encountering the same issue. Once I log in, it won't allow me to access the ADVANCED settings, to configure or tweak system.

Are you still encountering the same issue?

Message 23 of 40
dmitch77
Star

Yes, a lot of people who are running V1.0.5.106 firmware have this problem. Netgear has been notified. The only workaround is to use something other than Safari on something other than an iPad or iPhone.

Message 24 of 40
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We have trial firmware with a fix for this issue please send me a PM if you would like to try this firmware.

DarrenM

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7