× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to update RAX80 Firmware, continued

Unable to update RAX80 Firmware, continued

I was asked to start a new threat, but I"m experiencing the exact same issue as this...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/Unable-to-update-RAX80-Firmware/m-...

I've also tried everything suggested in the above thread.

Current Firmware Version 1.0.1.36

Router won't take new firmware.

I've tried macs, PCs, upgrading, downgrading, uploading through the web interface, selecting a local copy of the firmware, resetting through the web interface, resetting through the button on the back. Nothing works.

I am outside the support ticket window and premium support doesn't make sense for this issue.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 27
plemans
Guru

@WowMeEvents wrote:

I was asked to start a new threat, but I"m experiencing the exact same issue as this...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/Unable-to-update-RAX80-Firmware/m-...

I've also tried everything suggested in the above thread.

I've tried macs, PCs, upgrading, downgrading, uploading through the web interface, selecting a local copy of the firmware, resetting through the web interface, resetting through the button on the back. Nothing works.----what errors is it giving you? where is it failing? this helps more than just saying "it won't take". What's happening because we aren't there to see it. Take screen snips or better describe where/how/whats going on. There's multiple ways to update and describing how its failing in each is needed. 

Helps me to help you. 

I am outside the support ticket window and premium support doesn't make sense for this issue.

Message 2 of 27

what errors is it giving you?

It does not give me an error message.

where is it failing?

It is not 'failing'. It goes through the update process like I assume it should, but at the end (after the reboot), the firmware still shows the same version.

this helps more than just saying "it won't take". What's happening because we aren't there to see it. Take screen snips or better describe where/how/whats going on. There's multiple ways to update and describing how its failing in each is needed. 

From what I understand, there are only two ways to update firmware (which technically is 'multiple') - 'check' or 'browse'. Is there another?

I've tried both. Neither one actually updates the firmware. It looks like it's updating the firmware, but it doesn't actually update it.

Helps me to help you. 

I appreciate your help. What else can I tell you?

Message 3 of 27
plemans
Guru

Which version are you trying to manually upgrade to? 

Not auto-update. but manual.

where you download the firmware, extract it, and then install it. 

Make sure to do it over a hardwired connection for the best results. I'd also recommend resetting the router before you start. reason why is youre on a version thats 6 versions out of date. so do a factory reset-then upload the firmware. 

Page 99 in the manual walks you throught the update. Again, make sure to extract it. many make that error. 

Message 4 of 27

Yes, I know you can't update with a zip.

Message 5 of 27

Yes i was using a hard-wired connetion to the router.

Message 6 of 27
plemans
Guru

did you try factory resetting and doing the install?

I'd also recommend taking an intermediate step. See if you can upgrade to version .56 instead of going all the way to .70

Message 7 of 27

Rebooting screenshot.

I did reset it...software and hardware.

Message 8 of 27
plemans
Guru

will it go up 1 version of firmware?

Message 9 of 27

Screenshot after the firmware update and reboot.

I've tried upgrading and downgrading.

In fact, I've tried every firmware version available on the site. None of them 'take'.

Message 10 of 27
plemans
Guru

try installing the firmware via tftp

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Make sure to enable tftp from within windows (if that's what you're on). 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

If that doesn't work, I'd go through the RMA process with netgear. You might be out of your 90 days free support but warranty should still cover it. 

Message 11 of 27

It won't go up or down one version.

I also tried reinstalling the current version.

I didn't want to say it earlier because I didn't want to sound like an ass, but I build networks for a living, so I know how to upgrade firmware.

Did I mention I appreciate your help. 🙂

Message 12 of 27
plemans
Guru

@WowMeEvents wrote:

It won't go up or down one version.

I also tried reinstalling the current version.

I didn't want to say it earlier because I didn't want to sound like an ass, but I build networks for a living, so I know how to upgrade firmware.-----I never assume anything because whenever I'm helping someone, sometimes its the little things. You'd be surprised how many times i get "the wifi isn't broadcasting and I've tried everything!" and it turns out to be someone pushed the wifi on/off button. 🙂 

Did I mention I appreciate your help. 🙂-----Thanks!

I'd give the tftp method a shot. The RAX devices are pretty new and are having some growing pains with transitioning to new wireless standards. If it doesn't work, you should still be within the warranty

Message 13 of 27

I tried tftp multiple times and it looks like it's doing something, but then comes back with 'connect request failed'.

I also tried this way...

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

It looks like it's trying to start, but the progress window never appears.

I tried this on multiple ports on the router with the same result.

Every reset requires reentering my security questions. I'm growing real tired of that part of the process.

Any other ideas before I give up?

Message 14 of 27

Command Prompt Screen Shot with failure

Message 15 of 27
plemans
Guru

the tftp you linked to was the client version. 

did you follow this one?

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

and you enabled tftp? (that's key too)

as well as make sure you follow it exactly. 

can you ping your router from the command prompt?

If you're able to log into it from the browser, it should be ping-able. 

Message 16 of 27
Topology
Virtuoso

WowMeEvents, perhaps it would be helpful to use a Command Prompt window with administrative privileges for the tftp procedure?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 17 of 27

the tftp you linked to was the client version. 

I know. I tried both.

did you follow this one?

Yes. That's the one you sent me and that's the one I tried first.

and you enabled tftp? (that's key too)

Yes

as well as make sure you follow it exactly. 

I did.

can you ping your router from the command prompt?

Yes

If you're able to log into it from the browser, it should be ping-able. 

I can do both.

Message 18 of 27

Post 15 has a screenshot of the command prompt window showing error messages.

Message 19 of 27

Any other ideas?

Message 20 of 27
plemans
Guru

It should still be within warranty. You can try rma'ing it through support. 

I've never had a router that you could boot and access into not be able to do tftp. 

Message 21 of 27

During the process in the link above above...

7. Turn router OFF for 10 seconds.

8. Hold down the reset button on the back of router with a paper clip.

9. Power ON the router while holding down the reset button.

10. Watch the Power LED. It starts with an orange color, and then start flashing.

11. Count at least 10 flashing power LED and release the reset button.

As soon as I release the reset button, the router reboots. That's when I hit enter on the tftp command.

12. Press Enter to execute the TFTP command. Wait for a few minutes (be patient, do not reboot the router). When the upload is successful, the Power LED will turn solid. The rest of LED’s on the router will also turn ON indicating that the router has booted up properly.

So the tftp command is attempting to flash the firmware during a reboot? That doesn't make sense to me.

As another data point, after releasing the reset button in step eleven and the router reboots, the power light starts solid orange and does not ever blink. It finall turns white when the router is fully booted up.

Does any of that help? Because I don't have any of the paperwork for this one, so I doubt an RMA is possible.

Message 22 of 27
plemans
Guru

Try doing a 30/30/30 reset. what that is is this:

1. while powered on, push and hold reset for 30 seconds.

2. power it off all while holding reset. continue to hold for 30 seconds

3. power it back on while still holding reset. continue to hold for 30 seconds. 

see if that factory resets it. Immediately after it boots. try downgrading the firmware 1 version or upgrading 1 version. 

If that doesn't work, you can also try using nmrpflash. 

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 23 of 27

When you say 'Immediately after it boots', do you mean when the power light turns white, then press enter on the tftp command?

Message 24 of 27
plemans
Guru

@WowMeEvents wrote:

When you say 'Immediately after it boots', do you mean when the power light turns white, then press enter on the tftp command?

I mean after the 30/30/30. See if it actually resets to defaults. If it does, don't setup anything. Log into the router and then try the downgrade/upgrade process. 

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7