× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to update RAX80 Firmware

Cahlheim
Initiate

Unable to update RAX80 Firmware

I recently bought a new Rax80 to replace my X6S and mesh extender. So far, pretty dissapointed in both the performance and range.

Everytime I log in from either the Nighthawk app or via routerlogin.net I get a banner saying that there is an update available.

New firmware is found. Do you want to update the firmware? (Yes) (No)

Current Firmware Version 1.0.1.36

New Firmware Version 1.0.1.64_1.0.27

When I select yes to upgrade, the new firmware is downloaded and "installed", router reboots, but still shows the older 1.0.1.36 version. Try the whole install process again, same results. I've gone through this process unsuccessfully about a dozen or more times now... kinda frustrated at this point.

What I've tried:

Updating from the app on iPad and iPhone

Updating from routerlogin.net via Safari on iPad and iPhone

Updating from routerlogin.net via Chrome on iPad and iPhone

Resetting the router to factory specs and reconfiguring

Changing the SSID so no other devices would cause interference

Rinse - Lather - Repeat the above...

Any suggestions before I return this damn thing and go back to my old setup?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Unable to update RAX80 Firmware

have you tried manually downloading the file to your pc/mac and then within the update settings, browse to the extracted file and manually install it? 

Message 2 of 6
Cahlheim
Initiate

I just tried that, but no luck there either. A few things to note with this attempt. I don't have a direct ethernet connection on the laptop I am using, so I did download the firmware update (v 1.0.1.62) to my local machine and used routerlogin.net to browse to the file and upload that way. The router went through the update and reboot cycle, but it is still stuck on version v1.0.1.36.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

If you're within 90 days of purchase, you can open a support ticket with netgear for free.  To do so, go to the top and click on mynetgear, from there you register an account and the device. then you can open a support ticket. If you're outside of the window, there's still options available we can try. 

Message 4 of 6

Mine is doing the same thing.

Did you get yours to update?

I've tried everything I know.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

@WowMeEvents wrote:

Mine is doing the same thing.

Did you get yours to update?

I've tried everything I know.

Try starting your own thread. go over exactly whatt you've tried and whats going on. Saying you've "tried everything" isn't very decriptive as well as the situation might be different with the setup in your home. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7