× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unregistering Netgear Products - GDPR complaint

Baby_Platypus
Aspirant

Unregistering Netgear Products - GDPR complaint

Hi moderators and community,

You might have seen that all the questions about unregistering a Netgear product end up with no response either from moderators or other users. If you contact the official custoemr support you will get the kind of misleading response I got:

a) Delete the registration in the My Products area (no, you can't because there is no option to delete or unregister a product):

"My name is kaino and I am your support expert for today. Kindly login to www.netgear.com and form your netgear account you can remove the registered product."

b) A blanket reponse that will trigger the closing the ticket before they get back to me and the advice of looking for the answer in the forums or documentation:

"My name is kaino and I am your support expert for today. I really apologies for the inconvenience caused to you i have forwarded your concern to the appropriate dept kindly allow us some moment. ****Please be aware that your case will auto-close after 7 days of inactivity**** If you need any other further assistance, kindly visit our support web site www.support.netgear.com or community.netgear.com"

You want to have a product de-registered and your data unlinked from that product because, first, it is your right but also because that identification links you to a product that can be used in criminal activities mostly if you are sending it back to the manufacturer or Amazon, where the product will be refurbushed and re-sold to somebody else as new. 

My advice for those in Europe is to make three attempts, at least two through the official support, and failing any result, open a case with the governamental body overseeing GDPR compliance in your country. They will then pursue the complaint and will fine Netgear if they don't comply.  Please note that it is Netgear's responsibility to keep the ticket open and they can't claim that you didn't reply whilst waiting for their response and as such caused the ticket to close and the request to be dismissed.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Baby_Platypus, 

If you still require assistance with removing your products registration and account management I'd be glad to help. If so, please send me a private message with your email address and serial number. 

Thanks,

Christian 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Baby_Platypus, 

If you still require assistance with removing your products registration and account management I'd be glad to help. If so, please send me a private message with your email address and serial number. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7