× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade home equipment

mshaw32
Tutor

Upgrade home equipment

I am looking to move to Xfinity home internet and get the gigabit plan. I don't want to rent a router so looking to get one from Netgear and my options are CAX80, CM2000, and CM2050v. I am thinking of going with the CM2000 and having wirelss separate from the router. Then for wireless for my home going with the hole house mesh network. Orbi would be nice but it seems pretty pricey so going with the Nighthawk series. I see there are different options and some include a router, and some are just the access points. So here are my questions.

Should I get just the cable modem by itself, or should I get the cable modem that has wifi in it as well?

Do I need wifi router or does the cable modem do all the routing as well?

If I buy the mesh access points can I buy package without the router or do I need the router as well.

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Upgrade home equipment

I always recommend getting a modem seperate from the router. It gives you options for upgrading in the future without having to replace everything and it lets you control the firmware for the router.

I've got the CM2000 on xfinity and its been rock solid. I get 1.2 gig (when ran through a 2.5gig router-->computer)

In terms of routers. The MK nighthawk series is a solid setup. I'd recommend the triband version (80 series) over the dual band for performance. The dedicated backhaul does make a different in performance/latency and is with the $ in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the dual band mesh systems unless you're hardwiring them in. 

both the MK series and the Orbi need a router controlling them. The kits all include a router. You can buy the satellites seperate if you're needing more coverage. 

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

One thing I forgot to mention. The cm2000 has a 2.5gig port on it. None of the MK series of routers do. The only consumer mesh from netgear with a 2.5gig port is the orbi 850 series (expensive one).

It'll limit your speeds to 1 gig. So if you're not planning on upgrading the router for a while (or at all) to 2.5gig, you could get away with a CM1000, CM1100, CM1200 as they're all capable of saturating gigabit.
Message 3 of 9
mshaw32
Tutor

First off thank you very much for the help it’s extremely appreciated!!

So for the modem I’m set on the CM2000.

What I’m confused about is why get a RAXE500 router when I plan to buy the Orbi mesh system which comes with a router? Why do I need two routers?
Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

@mshaw32 wrote:

What I’m confused about is why get a RAXE500 router when I plan to buy the Orbi mesh system which comes with a router? Why do I need two routers?

Sorry! That's just my signature of what my current setup is 🙂

Its not a recommendation of what to get. 

Message 5 of 9
mshaw32
Tutor

You also said it in your comment that the nighthawk wireless router is a good one. So it sounds like I don’t need two routers? I’m not the best networking guy I am more of a systems infrastructure operations guy but I can’t see the value in two routers or what they would do for you unless the router that comes with the Orbi system isn’t really an advanced router and doesn’t do any kind of advanced routing. Maybe then I would see the value in the night hawk wireless router the Tri band one. i think it’s like 600 bucks. Would that give me added functionality that the router with the orbi system can’t do? Not looking to do anything too fancy but VPN tunnels, etc. I might be better off in getting an actual netgear firewall\router, instead of a wireless router, then get the modem and the orbi mesh system.
Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

@mshaw32 wrote:
You also said it in your comment that the nighthawk wireless router is a good one.----I'm a fan of the triband mesh systems. Not just the nighthawk version. Pretty much all the orbi/nighthawk versions are pretty solid.  So it sounds like I don’t need two routers?----If you have 2 routers, one of them needs to be in access point mode to prevent a double nat. But it doesn't allow the smart roaming of a mesh system. Which is why i usually recommend switching to a mesh system like orbi/orbi pro/MK nighthawk when people are wanting multiple access points.  I’m not the best networking guy---then I'd recommend keeping it simple.  I am more of a systems infrastructure operations guy but I can’t see the value in two routers or what they would do for you unless the router that comes with the Orbi system isn’t really an advanced router and doesn’t do any kind of advanced routing.---depends on what type of "advanced routing" you want to do. If you're not big into networking, simplicity is the best bet.  Maybe then I would see the value in the night hawk wireless router the Tri band one.----the benefit to the tribands is the dedicated backhaul between the router and the satellites.  They have higher speeds and lower latency with their backhaul. If you're not going to be hardwiring them in, then a triband is the way to go. If you CAN hardwire them in, then you can look at the cheaper dual band systems. Problem with the dual band is the speed hit they take when they're not hardwired in.  i think it’s like 600 bucks.---depends on the system and how many satellites you'd want.  Would that give me added functionality that the router with the orbi system can’t do?---not sure exactly what you're asking about here. You always have the option of using a router with 3rd party firmware that can use advanced features and use the mesh system in access point mode. Plenty of options.  Not looking to do anything too fancy but VPN tunnels, etc. I might be better off in getting an actual netgear firewall\router, instead of a wireless router, then get the modem and the orbi mesh system.---again, not sure exactly what you're wanting here so tough to tell you. It usually goes modem---->router---->whatever else you want. They do make routers that are only wired that have more functions/business grade setups that you could put after the modem and connect the mesh system to. Just make sure to put the mesh in access point mode to prevent the double nat. 

Message 7 of 9
mshaw32
Tutor

Sorry for asking again I’m just not 100% clear on what I need. I want the mesh system as I think that would work best in my house, but if i use then in AP mode I lose the benefits of the mesh system don’t I? Does the router that comes with the mesh system allow you to create VPN tunnels, allow\block ports, etc? I don’t see firewalls on the netgear site so didn’t know if all the features are added into the router. If the router that comes with the mesh system doesn’t allow you to create vpn tunnels, port allowing\blocking does the cable modem have this functionality? If not is there netgear devices that do this anymore?
Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

@mshaw32 wrote:
Sorry for asking again I’m just not 100% clear on what I need. I want the mesh system as I think that would work best in my house, but if i use then in AP mode I lose the benefits of the mesh system don’t I?----No. it still functions as a mesh system. It just lets the primary router manage the routing functions.  Does the router that comes with the mesh system allow you to create VPN tunnels, allow\block ports, etc?---etc covers a lot of features. If you're wanting more advanced features, look to the business class. Otherwise, figure out what features you want and seeif the consumer model offers them.  I don’t see firewalls on the netgear site so didn’t know if all the features are added into the router.----this is more along the lines of a business grade product.  If the router that comes with the mesh system doesn’t allow you to create vpn tunnels, port allowing\blocking does the cable modem have this functionality? If not is there netgear devices that do this anymore?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7