× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgraded Router practical uses for old one?

cscott1
Guide

Upgraded Router practical uses for old one?

Hello community, I recently ugraded to Xfinity Gigabit service. I didnt want to continue to rent a gateway from them so I purchased a factory sealed new CM1000v2 modem off of Mercari for 80 bucks score! removed the Arris X7 gateway from the provider that did a decent job it got 600-700 download wifi speeds on the 5GHz band I then got the Netgear modem up and running and hooked in my old trusty Netgear 6400v2 AC1750 to be dissapointed with 200Mbps wifi speeds. I did a lil reading from this forum and discovered that a firmware downgrade might help and sure enough it did brought my download speeds into the 300 range but im paying for GBS so thats not going to cut it. So back to the bargain shopping I found a lightly used Netgear RAX50 on offerup for 80 bucks as well. I havent received it yet but fingers crossed it will get me to what Im paying for. Now aside from dropping off the the old AC1750 at the goodwill or stowing it away in the closet as a backup is there a practical use for it? If i set it as an access point will it still only output the 300ish download speeds or will it do better hardlined to the higher end wifi 6 router? If my new router does a decent job of covering my 3br ranch do I just retire the old router or is there a way to squeeze more out of the thing I like to get my moneys worth out of things and it has done me well for 5 years just hate to retire it completely if it can still be of some use?  

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router, RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Upgraded Router practical uses for old one?

@cscott1 wrote:

Hello community, I recently ugraded to Xfinity Gigabit service. I didnt want to continue to rent a gateway from them so I purchased a factory sealed new CM1000v2 modem off of Mercari for 80 bucks score! removed the Arris X7 gateway from the provider that did a decent job it got 600-700 download wifi speeds on the 5GHz band I then got the Netgear modem up and running and hooked in my old trusty Netgear 6400v2 AC1750 to be dissapointed with 200Mbps wifi speeds. These 6 series routers will never see wireless speeds beyond 300-500Mpbs on 5Ghz. These don't have the support for higher speeds beyond that. Also client mobile devices can be a factor as well. Depending upon there design and support, some devices may not see much over 500Mpbs. I did a lil reading from this forum and discovered that a firmware downgrade might help and sure enough it did brought my download speeds into the 300 range but im paying for GBS so thats not going to cut it. So back to the bargain shopping I found a lightly used Netgear RAX50 on offerup for 80 bucks as well. I havent received it yet but fingers crossed it will get me to what Im paying for. Now aside from dropping off the the old AC1750 at the goodwill or stowing it away in the closet as a backup is there a practical use for it? Would be good to have a emergency back up router JIC. If i set it as an access point will it still only output the 300ish download speeds or will it do better hardlined to the higher end wifi 6 router? 300ish. If my new router does a decent job of covering my 3br ranch do I just retire the old router or is there a way to squeeze more out of the thing I like to get my moneys worth out of things and it has done me well for 5 years just hate to retire it completely if it can still be of some use?  Keep it as a backup router should something happen to the RAX router. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7