× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgraded from WNR3500v1 to RAX50 - old Windows 7 work laptop will not connect SOLVED

redgatorva
Aspirant

Upgraded from WNR3500v1 to RAX50 - old Windows 7 work laptop will not connect SOLVED

After reading about the web server vulnerability in older NETGEAR routers, including my WNR3500v1

https://www.zdnet.com/article/unpatched-vulnerability-identified-in-79-netgear-router-models/

I decided to get an upgrade and settled on the RAX50. Everything went along swimmingly (Dell Inspirion W10, Powerspec W10, iPhones, Linux boxes) until I got to my work laptop (as I've been working from home even before the COVID HOAX) - Dell Precision 7510 with Windows 7. It would not connect to the new router, and would not even see the router with SSID broadcast enabled.

I finally found that disabling the new "AX/OFDM" feature allowed the laptop to see the router - leaving the router in Smart Connect 2.5/5Ghz mode allowe connection with and without SSID broadcast. All happy now.

The work laptop is about six months overdue for replacement (caught in the COVID HOAX VENDOR SNAFU) - I'm assuming newer hardware and W10 will work with the AX feature.

Some other details:

* I like Access Control to avoid having anything I don't know about connecting to my wireless. However, with the RAX50 Access Control is applied to WIRED connections as well as WIRELESS connections - so you have to approve all of your connected devices. A little more trouble - I'd like a choice in an environment where physical access to my wires is limited.

* There the possibility of a different SSID for 2.5 and 5. In the Smart Connect mode the recommendation is for the same SSID on both. Now that things are connecting I didn't challenge the thing.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
redgatorva
Aspirant

Re: Upgraded from WNR3500v1 to RAX50 - old Windows 7 work laptop will not connect SOLVED

I don't see a way to mark a topic as self-solved, so I'll just post this and see if I can mark this as solved.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgraded from WNR3500v1 to RAX50 - old Windows 7 work laptop will not connect SOLVED

Hi redgatorva,

Thanks for sharing your experience as it may help others who may experience the same issue.

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
redgatorva
Aspirant

I don't see a way to mark a topic as self-solved, so I'll just post this and see if I can mark this as solved.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7