× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrading the AX12 120 to the 200

kermitWyo
Aspirant

Upgrading the AX12 120 to the 200

I bought my AX12 120 router through the Beta program. Part of the Premium Support package was the ability to upgrade to new hardware - one reason why I purchased the router. However I have no information on how do go through the upgrade process. 

Has anyone upgraded to the AX 12 (200)? Anyone know the process to do so? 

Thanks

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
kermitWyo
Aspirant

After hearing about the differences between the AX 120 and 200 I realize they aren't in the same product line - even though they have similar names. So all is good in regards to this thread... thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies

@kermitWyo wrote:

However I have no information on how do go through the upgrade process. 

It is usually a simple case of removing one router and putting a new one in its place, but you have to create your network from scratch.

As this is a router, there is probably a modem sitting in front of it. You need to get the modem to forget its misspent past with the old router. Among other things, that means rebooting the network.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

You will have to set up the new router with the details for your ISP.

All this is explained in the manual for your device.

There is support for the RAX120, including manuals, at the end of this link:

>>>RAX120 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

Message 2 of 6
kermitWyo
Aspirant

Hi Michaelkenward...

thanks for the explaination... I was however referring to the promised upgrade path for new hardward for the members of the Beta Testers of the AX120. I assume Netgear meant we could upgrade to the 200 from the 120 during our contracted 2 year membership. However there has been little to no (more no on ANY info) with this program. I was hoping someone more enlightened could let me know what is up. I am not super impressed with the AX12 at the moment. I am sure it is either the 40+ devices on my network or some QoS setting that is a default or just a basic sretting I missed. But I might as well have the 200 if I am in this for the long haul... I just want to know how to do it...

thanks again!

Alan

Message 3 of 6
kermitWyo
Aspirant

After hearing about the differences between the AX 120 and 200 I realize they aren't in the same product line - even though they have similar names. So all is good in regards to this thread... thanks!

Message 4 of 6

@kermitWyo wrote:

After hearing about the differences between the AX 120 and 200

Neither of those are Netrgear model numbers.

There is an RAX120 and an RAX200.

Message 5 of 6
avtella
Prodigy

The RAX200 is just an RAX80 with an additional 5Ghz band and a 2.5 Gb Eth port. Same CPU/WiFi chipset.

I’d say the Qualcomm chipset in the RAX120 is superior and Qualcomm usually implements advertises features like MU-MIMO better than Broadcom based models.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7