× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use BitDefender Box 2 with RAX78?

ABZMI
Aspirant

Use BitDefender Box 2 with RAX78?

For many years I used an R7000 connected directly to my Charter/Spectrum-supplied modem, then a few years ago (as soon as it was available), I connected a BitDefender Box 2 ahead of the R7000, and all seemed to be going well. Then a couple of years ago, I thought: the BitDefender Box 2 does WiFi and has a router function, so why do I need to use the R7000 at all? And I disconnected it; again all seems to be working fine, but it does only "WiFi 5," and I am now thinking about getting a "WiFi 6" router, specifically the RAX78, which Costco has on sale at $100 less than the usual price.

Would keeping the BitDefender Box 2 in place ahead of the RAX78 provide any additional benefit compared with using the RAX78 (and its Armor software) on its own?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Use BitDefender Box 2 with RAX78?

I would contact the Mfr about the box product. They would have more info. 

if your using this as your main router and wifi, then you may not need another router. Only reason you might want to use something else is to have maybe better wifi than what the box provides. You'll need to compare wifi specs between this box product and NGs wifi products to see what your needs may be. It's not recommended to have two routers on the same line. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 4
ABZMI
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I guess another way of putting it is: Does the RAX78 hardware have features above and beyond those of the R7000 that would render something like the Box 2 unnecessary?

I and others have asked on the BitDefender forum whether there are plans for a Box 3, especially as the Box 2 now shows as "Sold out" (rather than "Out of stock") on BitDefender.com but not on BitDefender.ro (its home country), but we have received no reply. My theory is that BitDefender believes that NetGear's hardware in conjunction with the BitDefender-based "Armor" software renders a new version of the "Box" unneccessary.

As for having two routers on the system... BitDefender's instructions for the Box 2 say that if it is to be used with an existing router, that router should be put into "Bridge" or "AP" mode (I forget which), so there will be only one device with a functioning router.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Well no experience with this "box" device so no idea how to compare the two. NG offers Armor and Smart Parental Controls for some of there products. 

You can try a RAX router for a time, and see how it goes, with out the "Box" online. Then do your own comparison to see that seems to work best for your needs. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7