× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using RAX45 Router with EX6120 range extender

Dan1000
Aspirant

Using RAX45 Router with EX6120 range extender

I have a model RAX45 wifi router that I have located next to a fireplace. (RAX45 firmware:  1.0.2.82)

Most convenient location due to ethernet connections with  windows 10 computers.   The fireplace degrades the wifi signal to a portion of my house, so I purchased a Netgear EX6120 wifi extender (EX6120 firmware: v1.0.0.54.1.0.34).

I detatched the two side antennas from the RAX45 router and extended them about six feet away from the router with coax cables.  I was able to get a signal to the extender I placed upstairs, but the extender's instructions say to place it where the router link and device link LED lights show green or amber.  Sometimes these device LEDs will show amber or red.  The extender provides a good signal most of the time, but it is occasionally weak.

My question is about extending the RAX45's antenna with cables.  The antennas are marked with "rear" and "side."  Are all the antenna's working with both the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands?  If I extend the back antennas with cables, do I need to place the extended antennas in any particular configuration?  That is, should they be roughly similar to the placement when the antennas are attached to the router?  Second question:  Is the fact that the device and link LED sometimes show amber or red caused by different amounts of data traffic on the different bands, either from devices in my more or the wifi from my close neighbors wifi?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Using RAX45 Router with EX6120 range extender

extending the antennas seems like a great way to attenuate the signal.

Why not use a longer ethernet cord and simply move the whole router? 

Message 2 of 5
Dan1000
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  That's an option, but I have five devices wired to the router in close proximity. The router is also right next to the cable connection that feeds my cable modem.  I'm in investigating alternatives that don't require running cables farther from the cable modem location.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Any other locations you can move the router/modem to? 

Again, adding extensions to an antenna is only going to reduce its signal

Message 4 of 5
Dan1000
Aspirant

Again, thanks. I'm aware of the attenuation effect.  I have a large fireplace in the center of my house, which creates a dead zone no matter where the router is placed.  I'm looking for information about the reasons for the antenna placement on the device so I can better understand my options.  The more I know about how the antennas work on and off the device, the better able I'll be to know what to try before I spend time and money experimenting and making changes. The extender is helping, but I want to make the most efficient use of what I've got.  Anyone have info on if/how the rear antennas work differently from the side antennas, and how (apart from attenuation) placement of antennas extended by cables affects coverage?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7