× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using SmartConnect on Nighthawk RAX80

pjackel
Tutor

Using SmartConnect on Nighthawk RAX80

In re using SmartConnect on the Nighthawk RAX80: If the original name of my 5G network is not the same as that of my 2G network, will devices that are already "attached" to the original 5G network automatically remain attached to the router when activating SmartConnect overwrites the name of the 5G network? (The password on both the 2G and 5G networks are identical.)  TIA!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

No.

If you're original name was***** for the 2g and ******5g  for the 5g and you turned on smart connect and it just went to ***** that was the name of the 2g

then you'd need to go into the devices connected to the 5g and reassociate them to the new ssid. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

No.

If you're original name was***** for the 2g and ******5g  for the 5g and you turned on smart connect and it just went to ***** that was the name of the 2g

then you'd need to go into the devices connected to the 5g and reassociate them to the new ssid. 

Message 2 of 8
pjackel
Tutor

Thanks for the clarification. When this router works as it's advertised to, there is nothing better. We've seen faster speeds than those with any of our previous routers. Unfortunately, I have also never had more difficulty configuring a router so that it does work properly. I have had to reset to factory settings and start from scratch at least three times in less than two weeks. I appreciate your help!

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

What firmware were/are you on? 

I know the RAX devices get frequent updates and sometimes old settings cause issues. That's where the reset helps out. 

Reason why is these devices were so new when they were released that the wireless AX spec wasn't even finalized at that time. 

Message 4 of 8
pjackel
Tutor

My firmware appears to be up-to-date, but thanks for suggesting that I check it.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

I didn't suggest you update. i asked what version you are currently on. A number helps because "the latest" changes as well as people use these for reference if they have issues or if the firmware team is watching this. 

And then I was just going over the fact that with new devices like this, a reset can help. 

Occassionally people actually need to downgrade from "the latest" as the most current can introduce new issues. 

Message 6 of 8
pjackel
Tutor

I appreciate the clarification. The router is using firmware version V1.0.3.88_1.0.41.

Message 7 of 8
mjc775
Star

I have a few IOT devices that are a pain to reconfigure/connect to a new SSID, so I've created a guest network with the SSID of the old network.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7