× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN Availability

wjlogan
Initiate

VPN Availability

I find it unbelievable that this new, extremely expensive router is nuetered to only allow a single VPN provider (PureVPN) as an option.  This limits my interest in this routerfor business and personal use.  Surely Negear will have a workaround for this or is this part of the expected monopoly process? I may return this unit and find another router based solely on this VPN limitation.  Don't misunderstand my intent here; the router is great, the options for VPN providers is criminal!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
Lordloki
Tutor

Completely agree. I just paid $500 for this router and it's locked to s single VPN provider on the client side???
Message 2 of 17
schumaku
Guru

Answered at least xx times before.

As per a previous reply in this thread from a bout 23 January 2019 https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-Custom-VPN/m-p/1694701/highlight... Custom VPN is available on all firmware (starting from about 2.3.2.40).

There is a guide DumaOS Optimal Settings Guide: Hybrid VPN - This guide will help you setup Hybrid VPN on your DumaOS... the ability to import virtually any typical VPN service provider OpenVPN configuration. 

Hybrid VPN -> Set-up -> Advanced 

Message 3 of 17
Divotz2
Tutor

Has anyone done this successfully yet,using a different VPN...????    As quoted in the https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-Custom-VPN/m-p/1694701/highlight... let me know which you you used..etc..

Thanks in advance

Replaced a Linksys EA9200   AC 3200 Tri-Band that kept dropping devices,our phones or tablets ,requiring to resign on again,spent 3 hours with support could not get into router software,fianlly after 5 restarts of my pc,i was able to reset everything and it did the same thing within an hour. It was 6 mos old refurbished,supposedly by linksys.finally they agreed to give me my money back,not send a newer model,or exchange with cash for a newer model. but a an RMA for cash return..

This router took 10 minutes to setup,sign on all our device,printers,tablets,pc,laptop and phones,and tv's...no problems.at all

Why is this so rare?

They all should do thid no matter eho makes them,but appearently only Netgear knows how to do it correctly..... Smiley Very Happy

Thanks Netgear...

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 4 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@Divotz2 talking and asking about the Nighthawk Pro Gaming router model referenced, or the tagged RAX40?

Message 5 of 17
erehsinatas
Aspirant

Where do u live for it to be $500 because I live in ny and I think anybody would agree nothing is cheap here I bought it from Best buy to 1 of the most well known businesses known for being pricey for electronics compared to other companies tht is but I paid $300 and the nighthawk ax12 is the best ax software router on the market available so I am interested where u got the 1 u bought from because u got robbed
Message 6 of 17
Divotz2
Tutor

Not sure which I was referring to back then but as I read it now,I was commenting on the use of the RAX40 compared to my previous router.i don't remember  using VPN before ,may have posted in wrong board...would not be the first time..lol sorry guys..:)

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 7 of 17
Paulcon503
Guide

Sorry of this is stupid question, but after reading the user guide it appears that the RAX 120/200 routers stil require open vpn to be configured on Mac or Windows PC etc,

Is there a VPN client that will connect to the VPN provider and not require any VPN configuration on the LAN devices . EG Open VPN client configured and running on the router NOT the PC etc

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 8 of 17
avtella
Prodigy

You mean like a third party OpenVPN profile for the likes of Nord, Express etc?
Message 9 of 17
avtella
Prodigy

If you want Support for third party OpenVPN profiles you may need to buy an Asus router as Netgear does not support that, except some that only allow you to use PureVPN, but it’s terrible inconsistent and I’d not recommend it.

I had a suggestion in the Suggestions forum section asking for third party VPN support you can vote on that.
Message 10 of 17
Paulcon503
Guide

Hi no I am not asking netgear to support the vpn providers , NordVPN, etc.

What I am asking is if the firmware includes the vpn client application that we can configure to use NordVPN or ExpressVPN, TorGuard etc. Linksys, ASUS, D-link, Tp-link to name a few all providers vpn client capability , on all there high performance ( top price) product.
Message 11 of 17
avtella
Prodigy

Thats exactly what I meant by "third party VPN profiles", theres no way to import configurations from any VPN providers like in Asus routers. The R7800 7 RAX120 allow VPN client ability but only support Pure VPN and don't allow importing configuration files for other VPN providers.

Message 12 of 17
Paulcon503
Guide

Thanks for the reply. Looking like the XR 700
Is the only netgear choice if you don’t want to void the warranty by flashing your router with open source firmware. Oh well I will look at alternatives from other vendor.
Thanks again all for your replies
Message 13 of 17
h011
Aspirant

Thank you for the review. I'm not wasting my money on this router. That is the reason why I am moving away from this company. Kudos to you.

Message 14 of 17
kami8
Aspirant

Before I signed on to the Premier beta program, I checked to see if the RAX120 would support my VPN pref, that is Nord VPN. Yes, I was told. Why pay this kind of money for a router that you can’t configure with your own VPN? I’m checking out routers at the site below:

https://www.flashrouters.com/

Message 15 of 17
jeff_hardy
Aspirant

@Paulcon503 wrote:
Hi no I am not asking netgear to support the vpn providers , NordVPN, etc.

What I am asking is if the firmware includes the vpn client application that we can configure to use NordVPN or ExpressVPN, TorGuard etc. Linksys, ASUS, D-link, Tp-link to name a few all providers vpn client capability , on all there high performance ( top price) product.

Can you ever tried fastestVPN it's may compatible with numerous router like Asus, D-link etc

Message 16 of 17
Paulcon503
Guide

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the reply. The question was regarding a vpn client for the r9000 router. Netgear has confirmed that the R9000 does not and never will have any vpn client available from netgear. The only choices are Voxel firmware or DD-WRT firmware. Which if you install cancellation of your warranty from netgear is the result
Netgear has made it very clear . New models have been released so it appears that the R9000 is yesterday’s hero -:)
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7