× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Voip capabily in netgear routers.

Bowie031962
Initiate

Voip capabily in netgear routers.

It is all very nice to have the new high tech routers and I have an R8000 and Orbi routers myself.    The unfortunate thing, and what is killing your product is the lack of a PSTN/VOIP functionality.   Companies like Telstra etc are using cheaper routers that are not as effective but they do provide the phone capability which is still necessary.   4G/5G backup technology is also something these routers offer which Netgear does not.   I bridge my Orbi to the telstra smart modem gen II, I wish I didn't have to but no option even though the orbi could connect to Telstra but I would then lose my phone capability.   

Good products let down by some shortcomings that I am sure are not that difficult to provide.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Voip capabily in netgear routers.

Ading 4G/LTE, 5G (doubt Telstra has it on thier CPE...) for backup or the effective Internet access, and POTS VoIP ports does make the router hardware much more expensive.

Does Telstra offer the SIP configuration data to offer required to configure "generic" non-ISP routers for their VoIP service at all - and can it be used then without the Teslata CPE?

Face it: What you get from Testra (or what we get from e.g. Swisscom here in Switzerland, with xDSL, G.Fast, and Fiber ports - no 4G backup) is an amazing product - hard to compete with...

Message 2 of 4
Bowie031962
Initiate

@schumaku wrote:

Ading 4G/LTE, 5G (doubt Telstra has it on thier CPE...) for backup or the effective Internet access, and POTS VoIP ports does make the router hardware much more expensive.

Does Telstra offer the SIP configuration data to offer required to configure "generic" non-ISP routers for their VoIP service at all - and can it be used then without the Teslata CPE?

Face it: What you get from Testra (or what we get from e.g. Swisscom here in Switzerland, with xDSL, G.Fast, and Fiber ports - no 4G backup) is an amazing product - hard to compete with...

Obviously the Swiss have a much better network than we have in Australia because whilst I have fibre to the home the router does not come with fiber ports, G.Fast nor xDSL, hence my query.   In answer to the SIP, no the 4G backup and VOIP are interlinked with the phone capability as a seperate port on the router.   The router only comes with ethernet ports which are then linked through an external (ie mounted in an external cabinet to the house) that provides the fibre to ethernet conversion (Alcatel Lucent).   What we also have is that our National Broadband Network (NBN) is seperate to the provider (Telstra) although you can only deal with NBN through the provider.   The thing is that the Orbi router I have (bridged) can automatically configure itself to the Broadband provider settings, just doesn't provide the phone capability.   Other providers (iiNet) offer a different configuration with the phone line being provided through the NBN node as a seperate service.   As you can see it is complicated and depends on your provider.   If I went with iiNet I could just use the Orbi or the new Netgear router and run a seperate phone line from the node.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

That wasn't inteded as a comparison - Australia is slightly larger, much longer distances, and I'm impressed of how Australia pushed that NBN all over, an absolute must to provide sufficient Internet bandwidth to all citiczen. The thing in common is - when I get it right - that telephony is all IP now. 

Here we must use the provider CPE with the POTS (selected with legacy ISDN) ports - for emergency/security reasons. A SIP access is available so generic SIP phones can be linked to the telephony service - in fact two different ones: One called "local SIP" allowing to add SIP devices on your home [W]LAN for linking phones to the router like local POTS ports, and one to link devices from anywhere to the home phone number(s) without security/location service from what I understand.

You might want to check if and how your ISP does provide VoIP (SIP) access configuration data - this would allow you to add any kind of VoIP device(s) on your network, at more convenient places as the router btw.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7