× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WIFI cannot detect the router RAX45

GoldenJ
Guide

WIFI cannot detect the router RAX45

I installed Nighthawk AX4300 (RAX45  bought from COSTCO). Oddly, some of my WIFI computers cannot see the router SSID. These computers can detect a bunch of other routers which don't belong to me. They can also see my old router AC3000 (R7900P) without problem. Why is it? Is there any compatibility issue?

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: WIFI cannot detect the router RAX45

Some old devices had issues when AX was first released. it was fixed mainly with driver updates to them. Sadly, most of the drivers aren't on the windows or sony/lenovo/dell/etc sites. You had to go directly to the wifi device manufacturer website. So if you're computer has an intel wireless card in them (intel's were known for this), you had to go to the intel site and get them directly. 

Have you tried this? 

If you have and it doesn't work, try disabling AX on the router. 

Message 2 of 9
GoldenJ
Guide

I updated the driver from vendor's website. Unfortunately, it didn't resolve the problem. Obviously, I don't want to disable AX to lose the benefit of wifi 6. So bad that the advance of technology is not comptible with old one, which was actually not too old. Thanks for the help.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

what actual wireless cards are in the laptops? 

What driver did you install? 

As a standby, you could always connect the old router in access point mode to the RAX

Message 4 of 9
GoldenJ
Guide

The card is Intel dual band wireless AC 7260 card. I downloaded the driver file "bt_21.10.1_64_win10" from Intel's website and installed it. Now what I have done is to use an WiFi extender connected to the router and connected my computer to the extender. You mentioned to connect the old route in access point mode to the RAX. How do I do it? Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

What operating sysem are you running? 

did you try uninstalling the wifi card drivers and then installing the new? 

Just curious because I had an old 7260 sitting around and I tossed it in my laptop and installed drivers and it worked with my RAXE500 and my Orbi RBK752.

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Message 6 of 9
GoldenJ
Guide

I am running Windows 10. I didn't try to uninstall the driver and reinstalled it. It may be worth trying it. However, before updating the driver,  the automatic update said it was the lasted version although there was the newer version for the card. So I double this unstall and reinstall approach would work. It could well be finding the older version as the latest version to install.

Thanks for the link of AP mode setting. I will try this too and see if it would work for me and give me better transfer speed than my current extender.

Message 7 of 9
GoldenJ
Guide

I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it. Then restarted the computer. After that, the wifi card saw the router RAX45 for both frequencies. Both were working. For 5G connection, download got around 80 Mbps and upload over 300 Mbps. It is interesting that upload performs much better than download. I am ok with this performance with this old wifi card although the performance is worse than when using my old router Netgear R9700P. I take advantage of the RAX45 for my wifi6 computer.

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

What driver version are you on? 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements