× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What is the max number of supported WiFi devices for the new Nighthawk AX12?

Gianlucam
Tutor

What is the max number of supported WiFi devices for the new Nighthawk AX12?

Hello,

I know that the new Nighthawk AX12 hasn't been released yet but I was wondering if someone here could tell me what is the number of maximum WiFi devices it can support, since it's aimed to very large homes with a high number (but not specified) number of WiFi devices.

I have a fully automated smart home and I have between 85 and 90 different WiFi devices (smart light switches, smart outlets, wireless  speakers, and other streaming devices), and I've been struggliing to find a WiFi router that supports that kind of workload. I have tried different brands of routers including the NETGEAR Nighthawk X10, but none of them is up to the task.

Thanks,

-Gianluca.

Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: What is the max number of supported WiFi devices for the new Nighthawk AX12?

12 Stream AX WiFi—4X Better Performance Twelve WiFi spatial streams - four in the 2.4GHz band, and eight in the 5GHz band offer four times the device capacity as compared to typical 2x2 AC WiFi. AX WiFi also supports sending up to eight multi-user MIMO transmissions at a time, up from four for AC WiFi. This results in a significantly improved network capacity and benefits the performance of all legacy devices.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
James721
Luminary

@DarrenM wrote:

12 Stream AX WiFi—4X Better Performance Twelve WiFi spatial streams - four in the 2.4GHz band, and eight in the 5GHz band offer four times the device capacity as compared to typical 2x2 AC WiFi. AX WiFi also supports sending up to eight multi-user MIMO transmissions at a time, up from four for AC WiFi. This results in a significantly improved network capacity and benefits the performance of all legacy devices.

DarrenM

Yeah right sounds good on paper. What real life is remains to be determined. With the broken firmware Natgear has out in the public right now on MANY of there routers not just one. I would be very surprised if this new one works as intended out of the box. 

No way at least for me i would even bother with any Ax router until proven otherwise. James !!

Message 3 of 8
IrvSp
Master

@DarrenM, you didn't answer the question that was in the subject.

" What is the max number of supported WiFi devices for the new Nighthawk AX12?"

You said "This results in a significantly improved network capacity and benefits the performance of all legacy devices.". That means nothing in terms of the question.

Message 4 of 8
myersw
Master

@IrvSp wrote:

@DarrenM, you didn't answer the question that was in the subject.

" What is the max number of supported WiFi devices for the new Nighthawk AX12?"

You said "This results in a significantly improved network capacity and benefits the performance of all legacy devices.". That means nothing in terms of the question.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the response. Question is how many devices? Older Netgear were in the 32 device range as I recall. Would hope these are higher. My Unifi AP is rated at 200. I will probably never have that need. 

Message 5 of 8
Gianlucam
Tutor

Thank you, guys. Yeah, I never got a proper answer to my question. It is what it is.
I'm now looking elsewhere, at proper enterprise gear (UAP-AC-HD / US-8-60W / USG).
I need something with more meat on its bones for a flawless connection of ~80 WiFi devices.

Message 6 of 8
myersw
Master

My Uifi AP's are rated at 200 devices per AP. 

Not a cheap solution and requires more then buy a router off the shelf knowledge but does just work for me. Requires more knowledge also.

Message 7 of 8
Gianlucam
Tutor

@myersw your signature is what started it 🙂
Yeah, I can manage.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7