× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Which one for aggregation feature

AmazingAbe
Aspirant

Which one for aggregation feature

Hello, 

I need to buy a router to aggregate two internet connections (ethernet). Some friends told me that the Netgear Router WiFi Nighthawk AX12 AX6000 does that but I've read it is suggested for larger spaces that need powerful anntennas to increase the wifi ragne. Instead my office is pretty small and I was wondering if it's not better for me to buy the Nighthawk AX4 AX3000 but I don't know if it aggregates multiple connections. 

Any suggestion? Even other models are fine to me. Top would be standard WIFI power and aggregation. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 20

@AmazingAbe wrote:

I need to buy a router to aggregate two internet connections (ethernet).

Do you mean two completely different Internet services? Different logins and external IP addresses?

I don't think that is possible. Certainly not with consumer grade equipment.

Message 2 of 20
AmazingAbe
Aspirant

The AX12 AX6000 does that. It's not a matter of loggin in. If you have a cable you don't need to log in because the signar arrives from the provider router and enters into the Netgear via ethernet. I just want to understand if the "smaller" version of the moden can do it.

Message 3 of 20

@AmazingAbe wrote:

The AX12 AX6000 does that.

There is no Netgear AX12 that I can see. Do you mean RAX120?

If so, "aggregation" there means that it connects "two Gigabit LAN ports or use Multi-Gig 5G Ethernet as WAN port (configurable)".

The RAX80 also does "PORT AGGREGATION—Ability to aggregate two gigabit LAN ports for faster file transfers".

Not sure that this has anything to do with combining two different Internet sources. More a case of getting more speed out of one connection.

Message 4 of 20
AmazingAbe
Aspirant

Hello, thanks for your reply.

As you can see from this link i'm referring to AX12 AX6000 and on the same page you can select the AX4 AX3000 or the AX8 AX3000

https://www.amazon.it/Netgear-Router-Nighthawk-Velocità-standard/dp/B07NCS58BK/?th=1

Maybe in Europe they have different names?

Thanks,

Message 5 of 20

@AmazingAbe wrote:

Hello, thanks for your reply.

As you can see from this link i'm referring to AX12 AX6000 and on the same page you can select the AX4 AX3000 or the AX8 AX3000

https://www.amazon.it/Netgear-Router-Nighthawk-Velocità-standard/dp/B07NCS58BK/?th=1

Maybe in Europe they have different names?

No. Look at the page on the link. See where it says "(RAX120)". That's the model number. The other stuff is wifi labelling. Just look at the picture of the different models.

But the answer is the same.

"PORT AGGREGATION—Ability to aggregate two gigabit LAN ports"

Good luck getting it to merge two WAN ports.

Message 6 of 20
AmazingAbe
Aspirant

Humm, I've read the article better and I think you're right. Any suggestionon the matter? I really need to jon two diffferent internet connections. It seems https://speedify.com does that but I would really prefer to have it in house and not based on an external service.

Message 7 of 20
jjw001
Tutor

I have been fighting with the AX4 for over three months.  It is not stable.  DO NOT waste your time with this device.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 8 of 20

@jjw001 wrote:

I have been fighting with the AX4 for over three months. 

You mean RAX40? That's the modem number. It is Netgear's only AX4. But it helps to be clear.

Message 9 of 20
jjw001
Tutor

yes AX4 = RAX40. 

Message 10 of 20
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jjw001 - We recommend you continue to work with our Support Team regarding your issue(s). If you need any assistance with getting in contact with support again I'd be glad to give a hand. 

~Christian 

Message 11 of 20
jjw001
Tutor

I have invested over 30hrs of my time chasing my tail with Netgear support and nothing has improved. Just more questions. I can’t keep wasting my time. 

Message 12 of 20

@jjw001 wrote:

I have invested over 30hrs of my time chasing my tail with Netgear support and nothing has improved. Just more questions. I can’t keep wasting my time. 

I see no suggestion that you have tried starting your own discussion on this hardware. Jumping on at the end of a running conversation may mean that your issue gets lost. (It also diverts people from trying to help @AmazingAbe.)

We don't even know if aggregation, the subject of this discussion, is the problem that you are trying to fix.

You can reduce the time you waste, yours and others, by beginning with your own conversation. That could be quicker than dealing with Netgear support. But first you will have to explain what is going on with your RAX40. This isn't even the same hardware as the RAX120.

Message 13 of 20
schumaku
Guru

@jjw001 wrote:

The AX4 does neither support LAN port aggregation (two designated 1 Gb Ethernet LAN ports to a static or 802.3d LACP dynamic LAG) nor WAN port aggregation (the WAN/Internet 1 Gb Ethernet port plus another designated 1 Gb Ethernet LAN port to a 802.3d LACP dynamic LAG. Therefore, ways off the subject.

Message 14 of 20
AmazingAbe
Aspirant

BTW, anybody can suggest me any NETGEAR product that does what I need? Two separate lines from my ISP that I can join through another device... Thanks.

Message 15 of 20
schumaku
Guru

@AmazingAbe wrote:

BTW, anybody can suggest me any NETGEAR product that does what I need?

Don't think Netgear has any Broadband Load Balancing or Broadband Channel Bonding offerings.

@AmazingAbe wrote:

Two separate lines from my ISP that I can join through another device... 

Talk to your ISP first - they might have offerings making two or more broadband links into a true single Internet connection - unless you are behind a pure low cost load balance approach.

Message 16 of 20

@AmazingAbe has been told that before.

Re: Which one for aggregation feature - NETGEAR Communities

The message doesn't seem to stick.

Message 17 of 20
AmazingAbe
Aspirant

I'm just moving to a new house where the fiber is not yet arrived (it's mixed fiber/copper). To work I need to move a lot of GBs per day therefore I need speed to Upload/Download/Working remotely with colleagues at the same time. In my actual house I can do that because I have a fiber connection. The best idea I had for the new house is to spend more money (not less) to hope to have a better speed at least similar to the fiber connection.

Message 18 of 20
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi AmazingAbe - You may find more info on setting up Ethernet Port Aggregation on the RAX120 on page 94 of the user manual linked below: 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX120/RAX120_UM_EN.pdf

~Christian 

Message 19 of 20
schumaku
Guru

@Christian_R wrote:

Hi AmazingAbe - You may find more info on setting up Ethernet Port Aggregation on the RAX120 on page 94 of the user manual linked below: 

Sorry Christian, this is not what @AmazingAbe needs. WAN port aggregation won't allow to combine multiple Internet connections or communication links. It's only to provide higher bandwidth to a single Internet connection, typically on Cable Modems supporting router WAN port aggregation.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7