× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why no output LAN 2.5GBE port on the RAXE500?

strykerzr350
Guide

Why no output LAN 2.5GBE port on the RAXE500?

Something that bothers me to get 1440mbps speeds with Xfinity is for me to have a router and modem with 2.5 GBE port. So when I bought the RAXE500 I thought I would have a second LAN 2.5 GBE port, where as all it has is the WAN 2.5GBE port. So my question is why was this router not made with an ability to have a wired connection at 2.5 GBE on the LAN side? I have the Netgear CM2000 so if I was to connect with a 2.5 GBE network card directly I would see those speeds.

Second question, how would I see the 1440mbps speeds using this router? I am on the current firmware, Windows 10, on a home environment.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Why no output LAN 2.5GBE port on the RAXE500?

1. Multigig ports are expensive. its why its rare to have on devices. The specs list what ports there are. 

2. to see mutligig speeds, you can use lan port aggregation for wired connections How do I set up LAN Ethernet port aggregation on my NETGEAR Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Sup...

Or you can see those speeds if you're wireless device has the capability. I've hit 1300mbps over a 6g and 5g connection. But you have to be close to the router and using a 2x2 160hz connections. 

Message 2 of 4
strykerzr350
Guide

The manual I downloaded on the support page was a little vague for me at least, I have no problem using LAG to get those speeds as I would only want my desktop getting that.

I have no devices right now that would take advantage of the 6 Ghz wifi signal at this time.

Do you have any recommendations for link aggregation network cards?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

to be truthful, I've used link aggregation before on consumer devices and never been impressed with its stability. that was a couple years ago before 2.5/5/10g ports were more common so it might have gotten better. so I can't tell you if there's a certain card that works better. I usually just stick to gigabit speeds for my wired/wireless devices as not much I do online, uses even close to gigabit speeds. 

Just recently I upgraded to 2.5g ports in my home and can hit 1.4gig speeds with my ISP.  But thats using the RBKE963B which is much more expensive. Do I see a difference in speeds? No. the only time I notice a difference is if I'm speedtesting. Otherwise its usually the website I'm on that bottlenecks and not my network. I tried going CAX80--->2.5gig switch--->RAXE500 and didn't notice a difference either. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7