× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wi -Fi 6 Access Points to use with RAX40

BoutrosLowe
Initiate

Wi -Fi 6 Access Points to use with RAX40

The Minister for Finance won't approve the purchase of AX11000 - to be honest it was "overkill" so now Plan B is Nighthawk AX4.  As this has to go into the garage (worst possible place to put the ethernet patch plate but at least I have 4 usable gigabit ports in the house Smiley Sad)

I need to now probably two WiFi 6 Access Point to cover the house (300 + sq mtrs over 2 floors via the gigabit ports) and multiple devices -  4 x mobile phones, 4 x Laptops, 2 x TVs, 1 x Apple TV, 1xiPad almost exclusively over Wi Fi (+1 X Synology NAS although that will be connected to the AX4).

Netgear Support suggested AEX20 but I wasn't sure if that can operate as a WAP? If not what are the viable options?  

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Wi -Fi 6 Access Points to use with RAX40

If you're wanting multiple AP's, I'd highly recommend going the route of either netgear orbi or nighthawk MK series. they both support wired backhaul and then you'd have seamless roaming between them. 

Message 2 of 4
BoutrosLowe
Initiate

I had initially ruled out the Orbi and MK series as they don't have a USB port for the NAS / Timemachine back up  + the lack of ports means buying at least one switch  + they are expensive compared to a Router (with better performance) + Extender/WAP(s).  Will go back and revist though - thanks again for the prompt reply and advice

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

For those that rely on backup/network storage, I usually recommend a basic (or more) nas setup. Even an old computer can be used as a nas with free software. 

You'll have better performance and reliablility. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7