× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wi-Fi Extenders - Best choice to connect with Nighthawk AX6000 v2

mcf58
Aspirant

Wi-Fi Extenders - Best choice to connect with Nighthawk AX6000 v2

I have a Nighthawk router connected to AT&T Pace model 5268AC modem. I do not have good coverage and was looking to add extenders. Currently the router is upstairs in a 3200sq ft, 2 story house and coverage downstairs is bad. I thought the router would help but it hasn't. What extenders would be best and how many would I need? There are so many out there that I just don't know what would work best. Thank you.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Wi-Fi Extenders - Best choice to connect with Nighthawk AX6000 v2

most should work but its all depends on what exactly you'd like. I'd either recommend using the EAX line or the triband AX lines. 

there's AX extenders like the EAX15, EAX20, EAX80

And the tribands are the EX7500, EX7700, EX8000

theres benefits to each and differences in prices. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

most should work but its all depends on what exactly you'd like. I'd either recommend using the EAX line or the triband AX lines. 

there's AX extenders like the EAX15, EAX20, EAX80

And the tribands are the EX7500, EX7700, EX8000

theres benefits to each and differences in prices. 

Message 2 of 4
mcf58
Aspirant

Could you tell me about the differences and benefits of each type? I'm not worried about cost, I just don't want to have to replace them in a year or 2.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Benefits to a triband extender is it has a dedicated backhaul between router----extender. 

It has lower latency and higher speed (potentially). Versus a single/dual band extender takes a 50% speed reduction because it has to use the same wireless chip to go router----extender and then extender----devices. And it can't do both at once. 

But the EAX series is a AX extender so it has a theoretically higher potential connection. So even at a 50% reduction, it potentially is still faster. It'll have a bit higher latency though. 

so it comes down to what you want to try and budget. 

As well as what you're using it for. 

If you're gaming, I'd go with a tri-band. 

If you're streaming tv/standard browsing, a dual band would suffice

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7