× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi 5G dropping on RAX80

Jojjan67
Guide

Update!

The problem has not gone away. The router still looses 5G signal very 8-9 days (N still work). Lost it this morning made a reboot and will now count the days until I loose the signal again. As before a reboot fix the 5G signal.

/Johan

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 26 of 73
hsman
Tutor

Same here ...

After some days, I can't connect to 5Ghz. Reboot solve the problem.

Is new firmware coming? I'll wait a bit but after that, i will resend it to Amazon !

Message 27 of 73
GabboCH
Apprentice

If you look how long the threads have been open relating RAX issues with Wi-Fi, Ethernet & other issues this is your answer...

According to netgear, there is no issue.
There have been no firmware changes in the 6 months+ that I've owned the device that change anything except for adding localisation tweaks.

Give it back for a refund and choose another brand while you still can...!
Message 28 of 73

I have the RAX 40 and it does the same stuff. What a disappointment. I am way out of return window. I’m considering another brand.
Message 29 of 73
Jojjan67
Guide

Update 2

I have also had problem with the speed on the ethernet connection from router to computer. Have a fiber connection 1000/100 and after a while it drops to circa 500 although the router speed check says circa 950 from provider to router. Tried to toogle QoS on and off - as suggested in the forum - get the correct/usual speed, circa 950, but the problem comes back after a couple hours or a day. Saw a another post on the forum that recommended to activate QoS and leave it on when you have the new firmware 1.0.2.76. Since I have had QoS enabled constantly last two weeks I get speeds between 600-900, and I have not (yet) lost 5G signal (I also use a local Swedish NTP server, not Netgear's).

/Johan

Message 30 of 73
hsman
Tutor

I just discover this problem. 950Mbps without router (pc direct connected) and 500 with router. I will try to leave on QoS after multi reboot (qos off, reboot then on and reboot) as you said.

But ... I am just waiting my new ax88u before send back my rax80 so...
Message 31 of 73
Hermz
Aspirant

Anyone else having luck with the European .76 update?

I'm having fluctuated wifi signals - changed channels helped a little but now my 2.4g is wack.

Thinking of returning it if I can't fix it.

Message 32 of 73
alokbhargava
Tutor

How do you get European version installed on US models?
Message 33 of 73
Hermz
Aspirant

Well ignore that it's European (I just read from some other post that the update was for that region) - it's available if you do a search for it.

"RAX80 firmware" and the latest one is the .76 - and not the .70 which is what the device will say is the latest one.

Message 34 of 73
GabboCH
Apprentice

I'm guessing the lack of "all my issues are solved" posts for this update (76) would suggest that all of them still exists in this version.

There was nothing in the release notes which would indicate improvements for smart connect, 5g/2.4g dropouts & several users posts that their lan issues weren't solved.
The same for all the other updates since 46 or 50.
They were all just minor tweaks for localisation.

I downloaded it just before the "work from home" rules were imposed so couldn't risk having something like this in my network to test it out.

However for me even if it did work, the complete lack of any kind of support or willingness to even acknowledge the issues from Netgear can only make me suggest sending it backwhile you can is the only sensible option.
Message 35 of 73
hsman
Tutor

My problems were with .76 firmware from the beginning so i don't thing it will resolve yours issues.

Message 36 of 73
harryanand
Aspirant

Seems like that this problem of 5G signals dropping is a permanent problem with this model. I have been trying to explain this to netgear support team since last 3 months and they support level is such a pathetic service that other than few useless tweaks, there is no genuine solution to the problem.

Even the replacement won't serve any purpose. I am regretting my decision of buying this useless model.  

Message 37 of 73
GabboCH
Apprentice

Your experience of the support seems to be the same as mine.

In fact I have the feeling they knew about this all along & offered 90 days free support to make sure that you are outside of the return window by the time you recognise the support can't help you and there's no chance of any firmware update.
Message 38 of 73
harryanand
Aspirant

So true Man!!

It feels like we have been cheated by this brand which is never expected from them. I wish these messages ring a bell in the ears of some higher authorities to look into this problem.

Message 39 of 73
tbloomer91
Aspirant

I have had this issue too. Will return this weekend as still within return period from store. This is my second one. Its better than the first but 5ghz drops on this one as well. Support is no help. Ran ping test to router and its obviously having issues as some pings are coming back in the 100s. Had one today that was 491ms. Will go back to older style r8000 router.
Message 40 of 73

Just sucks. The canned responses are insulting. Most of us posting here know a little something about networking. I did a third factory reset on my RAX40 and it is working ok. No noticeable drops in 4 days, but I am still skeptical. I am mad that There are not more options for AX on the market. What can you do? Also, I turn of port scan and dos protection. It is overly sensitive. It though Facebook and a Smart TV were attacking. Give me a freaking break.
Message 41 of 73
Jojjan67
Guide

Update 3

Today I lost my 5G signal again (worked appx three weeks). Made a reboot of the router trough the app (since N signal still works) and the 5G signal is back. Anoying...

/Johan

Message 42 of 73
pperreira
Aspirant

I'm experiencing a more severe issue, I lose wireless and wired connections. After rebooting everything goes back to normal, only to be lost again after a few hours. the device becomes inaccessible so I cannot even view logs. After reboot, the logs are clear and you cannot view any historical data. I opened a case and they go through the same troubleshooting steps, I am now out of the warranty period so I'm stuck with a malfunctioning router that a year ago I paid $300+ for. This is insane, I don't think I will every buy another one of their products.

Message 43 of 73
FDRS
Aspirant

Problem resolved today - I elevate the router from the floor, plus contact support and they change the communication port to the last one. (116).  Done!!!!

Message 44 of 73
alokbhargava
Tutor

What’s communication port 116?
Message 45 of 73
FDRS
Aspirant

My fault - I did it too fast...   

1. Go to Basic on your Router configuration
  2. On the 5G section, select:
  •          Channel 161 - Up to 1200Mbps

You will be ok  Goodd luck!

Message 46 of 73
alokbhargava
Tutor

Sorry, this will not resolve the issue. Wait for a week and report the results back.
Message 47 of 73
alokbhargava
Tutor

I used NetSpot on my mac to observe the wifi sgnal at 25' from my router and noticed frequent drop of 5G signal. Following are thje details:

1. 2.4G, Channel on Auto @1200

2. 5G, Channel 161 @2400

Trying to attach a screenshot of 5G dropping signal which recovers in a minutes time.Any idea why it happens only on 5G signal whereas 2.4G remains steady.

Message 48 of 73
alokbhargava
Tutor

I changed the channel setting of 5G to channel 161@1200 and tried to monitor 5G WiFi on NetSpot. Surprisingly there was no WiFi drops on 2 hr trial. I noticed that network speed dropped to 110 mbps from earlier of 220 mbps at 25’ distance from the router.

I switched back to ch 161@2400 mbps and speed came back to 220mbps and so far no 5G signal drop.

Conclusions:
1. There is something definitely wrong with hardware or software of this router that it starts dropping 5G WiFi at regular intervals.

2. You get best speed at ch 161@2400mbps

3. In case router is misbehaving, it may be worth setting 5G setting to ch 161@1200mbps and then revert back to ch 161@2400mbps.
Message 49 of 73
FDRS
Aspirant

Thanks!
I will do that change and confirm the results.
Message 50 of 73
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7