× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi 6 - Orbi or Nighthawk

ghildrew
Follower

WiFi 6 - Orbi or Nighthawk

I've had an RAX200 on preorder for months, but just saw the newly announced Orbi RBK852.  Forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain why one might be better for myself?  

I work in the entertainment industry and use high volumes of data, and have MANY wi-fi devices in my home.  I currently have gigabit service.  My home is small to modest size, but has old stucco walls and multiple levels... I currently use multiple Airport Extreme, but have so much signal failure / dropout, etc, that I'm going mad.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: WiFi 6 - Orbi or Nighthawk

the benefit to Orbi is its mesh backhaul and orbi controlling which satellite devices connect to while roaming. both orbi and the RAX have band steering. 

Stucco walls do a great job of blocking signals. I'd be willing to place money on those walls causing all your current wireless issues. Orbi would do better than just a single RAX200. However, with stucco walls and multiple levesl, your best is going to be trying to get ethernet lines ran and using ethernet as the backhaul. It doesn't matter how great a device's wireless backhaul is if the signals can't penetrate. This is going to be true of any wireless setup you do. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7