× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi 6 routers with built in modem for telephone line?

umarabid
Aspirant

WiFi 6 routers with built in modem for telephone line?

Hi can I ask does any one know of any widfi 6 routhers that have bulit in modem for telphone line? I am with bt and I have defalt bt hub 5 but I am thinking of buying wifi 6 router but I cant seem to find one with bulit on  modem for telphone line?

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

I don't know of any current modem/router combo devices with telephone service. 

The CAX80 (not released yet) has an integrated modem. but not telephone service.

You could get something like the cm1150v (if its compatible with your service) and then a seperate router.

Message 2 of 6

@umarabid wrote:

Hi can I ask does any one know of any widfi 6 routhers that have bulit in modem for telphone line?

To clear up something that might have misled @plemans are you talking about VDSL here? DSL over BT's telephone network with FTTC?

So you aren't looking for a modem/router with a voice socket? Just something that plugs into a DSL filter/splitter.

There hasn't been a new Netgear DSL modem/router, or even a standalone DSL modem, in quite some time. The DM200 has been around for some time but despite Netgear's products pages they are almost impossible to buy. There are a couple of modem/routers, but that's about it.

How to Extend WiFi Range | WiFi Boosters & Extenders | NETGEAR UK

Experienced users often prefer this as it brings several benefits.

For a start you get a wider choice of routers. Netgear adapts only a limited number of routers as modem/routers.

You also get more frequent updates to fix security holes and a higher likelihood of new features. Modem/routers seem to be lower down on the priority list for that sort of thing.

The only problem is that, depending where you are, standalone DSL modems seem to be disappearing and now command silly prices.

Unlike BT's crap, you can use a Netgear DSL modem/router in modem only mode, but when I did that I ran into problems.

Message 3 of 6
umarabid
Aspirant

You can close thos thoread, I will wait and see what happens but why does all the munfsctor note made wifi 6 VDSL all in one router? When makinhg wifi 6 do they not think of costomers? I guess not as most peaple would replace their brand band router with thord party one its sad to see that all the routers make like netgear tplink and asus cant make VDSL all in one router with wifi 6 yet. I guess i will wait see what happens. 

Message 4 of 6

@umarabid wrote:

...why does all the munfsctor note made wifi 6 VDSL all in one router?

You'll have to translate that.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Just adding POTS interfaces with some built-in ATA isn't sufficient. Most ISP offering dual or triple pay solution make use of very different implementations, configurations, .... for Internet, VoIP, and IPTV. They typically only support using their own CPE (customer premise equipment == "router" or "modem/router*) because they can configure, maintain, and support it automatically. That's why third party routers have lost a lot of market share in many markets.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7