× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi Connections on Nighthawk RAX80 Timing Out?

pjackel
Tutor

WiFi Connections on Nighthawk RAX80 Timing Out?

I recently purchased and installed the Nighthawk RAX80. I also have a myriad of "smart" devices installed throughout our home. It appears that, if a device (e.g., a smart switch) has not been used for a certain period of time, it drops off the wifi network, causing various automations to fail. (I still see the device in the list of those attached to the WiFi network using the Neatgear app, but Apple Homekit indicates that the same device is "not responding.") Does anyone know of a setting or settings that I can tweak to prevent this from happening?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello pjackel, 

If you recently purchase the device, I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
pjackel
Tutor

Hi! I appreciate the suggestion, but I have already contacted tech support twice--once during the initial set-up and then about a week later when devices seemed to start dropping off my wifi network, i.e., when they haven't been used for a while. (I say "dropping off" because I have to wait several seconds for them to connect to the network, something I have not experienced with previous routers.) I have also purchased an extended warranty, but the problems I'm running into seem pretty basic. For example, my 5G network seems to "disappear"  periodically. At other times, even though I'm able to see and log onto it, I get error messages that I am not connected to the internet. The most frustrating is when, for some reason, it suddenly tells me that my password is incorrect. (I can assure you that's not the case.) It's a bit awkward trying to call tech support whwen there's not just one issue, but a combination of issues (that may not even be in effect at the time I make the call). As I've written elsewhere, when this router is functioning properly, it lives up to its promise. However, I certainly did not anticipate having so many problems with a router in this price range. (BTW, I have done IT work in the past, so I am not unfamiliar with configuring a wifi network.)

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
ik8sqi
Star

Hi - checkout my post at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX75-1-0-3-88-firmware-broke-Home... for more info. I have the same issue with my RAX75 (Costco version of the RAX80), and all the Homekit issues started when I upgraded from firmware 1.0.2.76 to 1.0.3.88 and higher.

The only firmware version that works with Homekit is the older and fulle of security issues 1.0.2.76. Or you can use the newere firmwares but disable smartconnect. None of the solutions are ideal, but as you can see from that post I had similar issues with other brands as well...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7